Active Topics

Author Fuel tank and winter storage question.  (Read 951 times)

• Offline Alex34

• SX Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline Alex34

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    Fuel tank and winter storage question.
    on: 05 Feb 24, 09:34:51
    05 Feb 24, 09:34:51
    To make a long story short, I didn't fill up my tank in October before storing it for the winter. I'm normally anal about things like this but for some reason it slipped through the cracks. Everything else was done but I must have assumed I already filled it.

The tank is a little over half full. Do I need to worry about anything? Cannot remember what fuel is in it.

Bike is 2023 1000sx.

TIA
    Last Edit: 05 Feb 24, 09:36:38 by Alex34

• Online Timmy_Biker   gb

• SX Master  ‐    686

Online Timmy_Biker

• SX Master
    • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX Tourer
    • City / Town: Devon
    Re: Fuel tank and winter storage question.
    Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 24, 09:54:38
    05 Feb 24, 09:54:38
    *Originally Posted by Alex34 [+]
    To make a long story short, I didn't fill up my tank in October before storing it for the winter. I'm normally anal about things like this but for some reason it slipped through the cracks. Everything else was done but I must have assumed I already filled it.

The tank is a little over half full. Do I need to worry about anything? Cannot remember what fuel is in it.

Bike is 2023 1000sx.

TIA

I am usually the same.
    Obviously the ideal is to top it up to the brim and use a fuel stabiliser like the popular Honda branded one that i use. I put in 10ml to every 5L of fuel. Then run the bike until the cooling fan kicks in and its then all set for its winter hibernation  :002:

If i were you i would just fill it up with E5, either by riding to the station, or fill a can and put it in that way.
    I have done this for years with many bikes, including non fuel injected trad carbs, and never had starting or running problems on the other side.

Also use an Optimate and my battery (original) is still fine at 8 years old. Although i think its days are numbered now!
    Last Edit: 05 Feb 24, 09:56:15 by Timmy_Biker

• Offline Alex34

• SX Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline Alex34

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 24, 08:45:29
    06 Feb 24, 08:45:29
    *Originally Posted by Timmy_Biker [+]
    I am usually the same.
    Obviously the ideal is to top it up to the brim and use a fuel stabiliser like the popular Honda branded one that i use. I put in 10ml to every 5L of fuel. Then run the bike until the cooling fan kicks in and its then all set for its winter hibernation  :002:

If i were you i would just fill it up with E5, either by riding to the station, or fill a can and put it in that way.
    I have done this for years with many bikes, including non fuel injected trad carbs, and never had starting or running problems on the other side.

Also use an Optimate and my battery (original) is still fine at 8 years old. Although i think its days are numbered now!

Thanks for the reply.

I normally do the the whole fule fill up and prep, and everything else was done, i.e. optimate on battery, paddock stands, etc. It was just the filling up part I missed.

So having it half way filled for 4 months wouldn't do anything to the inside of the tank, like introduce corrosion? I take it the inside of our tanks are all aluminium? Are there any areas that could corrode?

• Offline whyhaveone   england

• SX God  ‐    2803

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
    • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
    • City / Town: Hampshire
    Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 24, 09:42:15
    06 Feb 24, 09:42:15
    I really think that you are worrying unecessarily.  :002:

I've never filled my tank before winter and just put a battery tender on. I usually do not ride from mid to late November and start again in March and have not had any issues.

If you are still concerned just do as Timmy_Biker has said.
    Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

• Offline Alex34

• SX Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline Alex34

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 24, 09:50:27
    06 Feb 24, 09:50:27
    *Originally Posted by whyhaveone [+]
    I really think that you are worrying unecessarily.  :002:

I've never filled my tank before winter and just put a battery tender on. I usually do not ride from mid to late November and start again in March and have not had any issues.

If you are still concerned just do as Timmy_Biker has said.

Appreciate that👍. Just wanted to make sure rather than regret it later.

• Online Timmy_Biker   gb

• SX Master  ‐    686

Online Timmy_Biker

• SX Master
    • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX Tourer
    • City / Town: Devon
    Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 24, 12:03:13
    06 Feb 24, 12:03:13
    As whyhaveone has said, i don't think you have anything to worry about, for that sort of timescale...
    However...
    For what its worth, my storage situation is far from ideal, and this is exactly why i keep a strict routine over my winter storage method.

Essentially my bikes are all stored outside, albeit under a complete shelter from all sides of weather.

The rain/sleet/snow cant actually touch the bikes but the wind can and does.
    This means that humidity and temperature fluctuations are very high, unlike if the bike was inside a garage for instance.
    Or like one of my mates has, heated carpeted garage for his classic cars and bike (he uses no fuel stabilisers and just uses E5 always)

If you look at these extremes, and how they may effect the storage of fuel, then one can kind of assess what precautions may be beneficial.
    If i had a heated garage then yes i would store the bike with E5 only, but use a fuel stabiliser or top up to the brim??
    Probably not. But i would use an Optimate.

The E10 and E5 fuel available has up to 10 and 5% Ethanol added by volume respectively.
    Ethanol attracts water through normal exposure to air and the moisture contained in it. As our tanks are not hermetically sealed, this is the risk we hold when we are not running fresher fuel though the bike regularly. If you're getting starting issues (not battery related) or lumpiness when you come to ride the bike after its hibernation, then chances are that some water has been attracted into the tank. It tends to settle at the bottom of the tank and sometimes only shows itself when the tank is getting low, as it is being shaken up more in this state. Note; The fuel take off for the pump has a riser inside the tank to allow dust and debris (and water to a degree) to settle below.
    I think the tank is all steel by the way, so it will corrode in contact with water.

Before i started my hibernation habits i got all these problems and just accepted that this was part of the course of starting biking again in the new season.
    I don't get any of that now, and with the E10 that i try to avoid, now taking over at a lot of forecourts i don't think i will be changing my habits any time soon.
    Last Edit: 06 Feb 24, 12:26:10 by Timmy_Biker

• Online DW-SX   gb

• SX Pro  ‐    170

Online DW-SX

• SX Pro
    • Bike: Z1000sx - 2013
    Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 24, 03:13:39
    06 Feb 24, 03:13:39
    E5 always E5.

Even before E10 Arrived I preferred premium fuel in my bike. Wasn't so bothered about my car, but upon E10 arriving and the possible associated fuel hose / seal cracking issues through Ethanol's moisture grabbing properties I've stuck with E5 In everything.

I even researched ethanol removal from petrol altogether but learned that a small amount is required to achieve the 'best bang'.

I know some classic cars guys who routinely scrub ethanol out of petrol using water and tapping off the water / ethanol mix but ultimately this would lead to fuel that isn't as 'volatile' as E5. Good for classic cars to save all the components / seals and hoses etc. Not so good for high performance / high revving engines (or so I have been told).

Regardless. E5 for me and much of the routine above is what I tend to do. E5 in the tank, optimate on the battery and garaged, and being started up every week or so just cause I like to.  :001:
    Last Edit: 06 Feb 24, 03:15:12 by DW-SX