lew600fazer lew600fazer
3248 Posts
maccmike maccmike
2952 Posts
KD KD
2820 Posts
whyhaveone whyhaveone
2803 Posts

Author Battery down to 4.9V ... too late for oximiser recovery. What to do?  (Read 1518 times)

• Offline chillymonk   gb

• SX Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline chillymonk

• SX Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: ninja 1000sx
    • City / Town: Kingston Upon Thames
    Battery down to 4.9V ... too late for oximiser recovery. What to do?
    on: 09 Dec 23, 05:28:38
    09 Dec 23, 05:28:38
    Hello All - I have not taken the motorcycle out for a month now and the battery has drained to 4.9V. I tried using the Oxford Oximiser3x but nothing happened. It shows 4.9V and blinks the WEAK light on. How do I know whether the battery is dead or needs replacing? Shall I try jump starting it with my car battery (never done it before) or push starting it? Any advice will be great ... Thanks a ton!!!

• Offline Scotty

• SX Member  ‐    65

Offline Scotty

• SX Member
    Re: Battery down to 4.9V ... too late for oximiser recovery. What to do?
    Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 23, 08:55:31
    10 Dec 23, 08:55:31
    With regards to the battery,how old is it,you could try charging it with a car charger,to see if this picks it up,I have done this in the past,with no problem,as for bump starting it,as it’s cold,you’ll be lucky to start it,it should start with a jumper pack,but before this try with a car charger first.

• SX Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline chillymonk

• SX Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 23, 09:20:41
    10 Dec 23, 09:20:41
    Thanks for the reply, the bike is new - bought it 7 months back. I will try it with a car charger and see if it works.

• Offline Scotty001   gb

• SX God  ‐    1513

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
    • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
    • City / Town: Hampshire
    Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 23, 11:28:13
    10 Dec 23, 11:28:13
    Technically a 12v battery is "dead" at 11v
    This info may be of use

12.6V volts or above - Your battery is healthy and fully charged. No further action is required.

12.5v - Your battery is at a healthy state of charge, re-check it within a few days to ensure the voltage hasn't dropped any further.

12.1 - 12.4 v - Your battery is partially discharged and should be recharged as soon as possible, using a suitable battery charger. The lifespan of your battery will be moderately affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.

12.0v or below -  your battery is considered to be fully discharged or 'flat' and should be recharged as soon as possible. The lifespan of your battery will be severely affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.

At 4.6v that battery may be toast, you may be lucky and get it back to life but I'd be looking to swap it out or be prepared for it failing without any notice. I'd also be looking to see why it has drained so low within 1 month
    Is the bike new (2023 model or new to you with unknown battery age / previous issues.
    do you have an alarm (other than oem immobiliser) or other aux equipment that isn't on a switched live source and connected to the battery (Inc heated grips)?

• SX Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline chillymonk

• SX Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 23, 12:05:17
    10 Dec 23, 12:05:17
    Thanks Scotty001 - Thanks for the detailed info on the battery status. I have the tracker installed on it and that probably is the reason :-(. I have heated grips too but I thought they wouldn't drain the battery unless you switch them on.

• Offline Scotty001   gb

• SX God  ‐    1513

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
    • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
    • City / Town: Hampshire
    Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 23, 12:13:20
    10 Dec 23, 12:13:20
    Yeah the tracker would likely be the culprit, I'd say if you are not going to be riding the bike for more than 2 days to put the tender / trickle charger on.

Rs the grips it depends if they are connected to the aux wiring (switched live) or direct to the battery.
    Either way if they are off then there should be no drain (unless connected direct to the battery and there is a fault with the grip controller module)
    A lot of heated grips (in Oxford) have an auto shut off and say that you can hard wire direct to the battery, if you leave the grips on by accident they will shut off if it detects the battery is getting low.

I personally don't like this as at that point your battery is now low, I always connect the the a switched live source and never direct to the battery that way I can never accidentally leave them on, or some idiot thinking it's funny to turn them on when you are away from your bike.

• Online Timmy_Biker   gb

• SX Master  ‐    686

Online Timmy_Biker

• SX Master
    • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX Tourer
    • City / Town: Devon
    Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 23, 12:22:44
    10 Dec 23, 12:22:44
    Chillymonk

As what Scotty said.  :028:
    It does kinda point toward the tracker, and they are known for doing that.

Note on heated grips;

I have only ever had Oxford heated grips.
    Ever since they started making the battery protect model, it has set up an easier route for people who cant be fussed finding the auxiliary ignition switched power take off.
    However, the first wave of these that hit the market did leak down from the battery.
    As far as i am aware they have fixed this issue, at least none of mine do it (i have retro and touring models 2017 and 2019 respectively).
    Still i don't really trust a straight hook up to the battery, if i can get round it.

You can get a new battery for about £60-90, depending on what you want.
    I would also invest in an Optimate if there is a socket within reach of where you store the bike.
    Mine is a 2016 bike with its original battery, due to the Optimate.
    Although i may just change the battery next year before any serious touring.
    Its probably good practice to change a battery more than five or six years old anyhow.
    Last Edit: 10 Dec 23, 12:25:05 by Timmy_Biker

• SX Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline chillymonk

• SX Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 23, 09:56:33
    10 Dec 23, 09:56:33
    Thanks Timmy_Biker - I heeded to the advice of the wise men and ordered a new battery from sportsbikeshop for £41. It will arrive on Tuesday so I will let you know whether I am able to hear the grunt of the engine once again :-). Meanwhile, I did some DIY and sorted the electric connection in my shed. I already purchased the Oximiser3x a week back so I guess I should be all set for the winters.     

• Online Timmy_Biker   gb

• SX Master  ‐    686

Online Timmy_Biker

• SX Master
    • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX Tourer
    • City / Town: Devon
    Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 23, 10:12:05
    10 Dec 23, 10:12:05
    Cool, Glad you got it sorted  :820: