Active Topics

Author Urban NSL in Wales now 20mph  (Read 7080 times)

• Offline SteveMat   wales

• SX Master  ‐    390
    • Topic Author

Offline SteveMat

• SX Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Green Tourer
    • City / Town: Blackwood
    Urban NSL in Wales now 20mph
    on: 17 Sep 23, 12:49:18
    17 Sep 23, 12:49:18
    Most of you will be aware that from today (Sunday 17 September) the National Speed Limit (NSL) in Wales has changed to 20mph. :027:  There has been a lot said in the press and as usual, this is exaggerated one way or another, to suit their political leanings, including one article which stated that bikers will no longer come to Wales. :023:  And so I thought I would give you all a factual account of what this change actually means.

What this means is that by default, where roads were 30mph under NSL they are now 20mph, however,
    Councils have been tasked with looking at these roads and sign posting sections of the road where they believe 30mph is still suitable.  Residential areas (estates), close to schools and hospitals, will be 20mph.  Some councils will be proactive and apply sense, others are anti-car and there will appear to be no sense applied at all.  Hopefully it will balance out over time and common sense will prevail.

What this means in real life is that when you enter a typical Welsh village it's likely to increase you journey time by about 5 mins.  If you ride into Cardiff then firstly you need to look at your route planning, as there are no good roads in or near Cardiff, Newport or Swansea and secondly, your journey time will increase by about a third.  Most of the best biking routes avoid villages as much as possible and certainly don't go anywhere near the larger towns and cities.

For example, a trip into Aberystwyth.  There will be no change to the 60mph NSL routes to get there.  The roads on the outskirts are likely to be 30mph and the streets in the town centre and sea front will be 20mph.  Does anyone do, or even try to do more than 20mph in these areas!  There are lots of tourists wandering into the road, cars trying to park, you're looking for parking, you're looking at other bikes and for a cafĂ©, so chances are, you don't go over 15 - 20mph.  So there will be very little difference.

You should also be aware that for the first year, there is going to be an Education First approach and if you are doing under 30mph then you will get a talking to and no points or fine.  They are also aware that people coming from other countries may not be aware of the change, so if stopped, your first line of defense is to act as dumb as a Welsh politician, and say you hadn't heard about the change.  :187:

I hope this lays to rest any fears you guys have, about your bike trips to Wales being spoilt.  And I look forward to seeing you all for our 2 day summer next Spring.  :001:

• Online DW-SX   gb

• SX Pro  ‐    170

Online DW-SX

• SX Pro
    • Bike: Z1000sx - 2013
    Re: Urban NSL in Wales now 20mph
    Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 23, 01:21:00
    17 Sep 23, 01:21:00
    Wouldn't phase my decision to go to Wales as the best roads as you say are the ones away from villages / towns.

I did a few courses in Wales over the years and the driving experiences there are exceptional! 

• Online Timmy_Biker   gb

• SX Master  ‐    686

Online Timmy_Biker

• SX Master
    • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX Tourer
    • City / Town: Devon
    Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 23, 02:51:36
    17 Sep 23, 02:51:36
    Thank you SteveMat for the write up and clarification.
    Yes! Wales has some great roads.

In future i will allow a little more time, especially on the A + B roads that pass through those villages.

• Offline gavuk   gb

• SX Master  ‐    340

Offline gavuk

• SX Master
    • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
    • City / Town: Cornwall
    Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 23, 06:31:12
    17 Sep 23, 06:31:12
    I will abide by the rules in towns and villages. I suspect where Wales leads others will follow.

I was up there for a biking 3 days with like minded aka older bikers three weeks ago. Despite lots of signs for speed cameras, warnings of 'active police in this area', etc, etc we never saw a single cop.

That's a lie we saw a van and a car racing to an RTA at the crest of a hill where a camper and a volvo had t-boned each other.

• Offline isleofwightpaul   gb

• SX Member  ‐    69

Offline isleofwightpaul

• SX Member
    • Bike: Z1000SX Performance
    • City / Town: East Cowes
    Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 23, 04:43:41
    18 Sep 23, 04:43:41
    "Some councils will be proactive and apply sense, others are anti-car and there will appear to be no sense applied at all."
    And therein lies the problem. Who would want to go to a place that is anti everything to do with a vehicle? This is an idiotic idea dreamed up by the greens who, wrongly, state that it will cut pollution as well as reduce injuries. It will not. Vehicles travelling at 20mph pump out more pollution than vehicles travelling at 30 mph because engines are not efficient at lower speeds. Already I see that the new road signs are being destroyed by the disgruntled public. The main thing is, are there enough police over there to actually enforce this stupid new rule? If you are anything like the Isle of Wight, (we have two, yes two, dedicated police traffic officers), the public will carry on as normal as they know that the new law will simply not be enforced. 30mph is a more than slow enough speed limit in residential areas with the braking performance of practically all modern vehicles. The problem comes with bad drivers who pay no attention to what is happening around them. I pity your plight and hope that many bikers will still want to visit Wales.  :028:

• Online DW-SX   gb

• SX Pro  ‐    170

Online DW-SX

• SX Pro
    • Bike: Z1000sx - 2013
    Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 23, 06:58:53
    18 Sep 23, 06:58:53
    Agree in principal above, but if anything like London there will be 20mph speed cameras everywhere making money for the councils.

Literally there are sections of arterial routes in London downgraded to 20mph that have speed cameras every 300 yds.

• Offline burty   gb

• SX God  ‐    2621

Offline burty

• SX God
    • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
    Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 23, 07:02:05
    22 Sep 23, 07:02:05
    *Originally Posted by DW-SX [+]
    Agree in principal above, but if anything like London there will be 20mph speed cameras everywhere making money for the councils.

Literally there are sections of arterial routes in London downgraded to 20mph that have speed cameras every 300 yds.

I obviously don't travel on those roads, but in my experience the 20mph speed limit is universally ignored in London.  It is utterly pointless. And to be honest the bikers are generally the worst offenders.

I expect in Wales the same behavior will prevail. 
    2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 80000 miles and 12
     years on SXs.

• Online cyanide sid   gb

• SX Pro  ‐    225

Online cyanide sid

• SX Pro
    Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 23, 11:45:12
    22 Sep 23, 11:45:12
    Going to be a nightmare if they put speed cameras up in a 20 ml limit , so easy to creep up to 23 or over and then get
    that bl**dy envelope posted  through your letter box :005: :005:

• Offline BikerJoe   gb

• SX Pro  ‐    180

Offline BikerJoe

• SX Pro
    • Bike: '14 Z1000SX
    • City / Town: Stockport
    Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 23, 04:55:14
    16 Nov 23, 04:55:14
    Probably a bit of an unusual view but, as an occasional visiting biker, it's not affected me in any significant way. My first encounter, on a club social run a few weeks back, we rode through a few Welsh villages and the new limits added only seconds at most to our travels. It took a little bit of thought to get used to doing 20mph rather than 30mph but it was hardly a daunting challenge and none of us had any problems riding at or sticking to those speeds. We were all experienced riders and don't blast through villages at 50+ like some bikers do (along with many other drivers, for that matter). it certainly won't put me off riding in Wales.
    Obviously, if it is indiscriminately applied to whole towns and someone is working as a driver in one of them, it might increase times but given how congested most towns and cities are anyway, the speed limit makes little difference when crawling along in traffic.
    It will be interesting to see how the road deaths and casualties figures change with the new limits.
    Cheers, Joe

• Online LovelyGeorge   us

• SX Pro  ‐    109

Online LovelyGeorge

• SX Pro
    Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 23, 07:42:51
    16 Nov 23, 07:42:51
    Just a quick question, please dont berate me for asking it here i don't want to create a new thread just for that. Do we have to pay any kind of tax if we are sending a motorcycle bag from the US to the UK as a gift? if there is a tax then how can we pay it upfront? I am looking to send this bag (https://www.vikingbags.com/products/viking-momentum-extra-large-expandable-street-sportsbike-saddlebags) to a friend of mine in the UK and I really don't want him to pay anything for it.