Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: North Coast 500 tank range  (Read 1166 times)

Offline NoFinPhish

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 z1000sx
North Coast 500 tank range
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
There's a lot of posts on tank range on this forum
But, I would like to know what sort of mpg I am likely to get going up the west side of the Highlands?
Has anyone taken their z that way, or similar terrain (steep up/down mountains and slow riding to avoid Highland Coos and wild haggis) that can tell me what tank range to expect. I would like to plan where to stop for fuel each day.
I assume I'll get less than average, 140 miles?
Jason

Offline starkyno1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: cowie
Re: North Coast 500 tank range
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:22 PM »
There is plenty petrol stations on route. A few of them are just self serve card payments ones though

Offline L2RKE

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX Touring
  • City / Town: BURY ST EDMUNDS
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
I have done this route and had no problems finding fuel stations. If you are riding in touring mode and enjoying the scenery you can get 180 plus to a tank. But there is lots of tarmac where you WILL want to "play". It is a Route that just has to be done... :062:
Mods so far..Sargent seat.Akrapovic Carbon End cans.Fenda and Hugger extenda's.  Satnav mount. Acc. power socket.Vtrex adj.levers.

Online Konrad

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2015, Green
  • City / Town: SW London
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
Just remember to fill up in the evenings. Most of them are not 24h and (especially during weekends) they do not open early in the morning.

Offline NoFinPhish

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 z1000sx
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by L2RKE [+]
I have done this route and had no problems finding fuel stations. If you are riding in touring mode and enjoying the scenery you can get 180 plus to a tank.
Thats exactly what I'll be doing, but its the Belach Na Ba and Applecross that I am unsure about.
I have probably had everything from 145 miles to nearly 200 miles out of my tank, but not done the sort of terrain I will be seeing next month, on the SX at least. I have found the SX mpg varies more than the other bikes I've had depending on the type of riding.
We have 7 bikes going, and we want to make sure we all fuel up at the same time or we will end up spending too much time hanging around in petrol stations. I am trying to plan to the smallest tank range in the group.

Offline AlbaKawa

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
There's a fuel station in Lochcarron, before you head over the pass to Applecross, and fuel is available in Applecross as well, but don't know opening times.

Offline JMW

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX ABS TOUR
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »
What he said.
2017 Z1000SX ABS TOURER COVERED IN R&G, LACED WITH EVOTECH AND WRAPPED IN DARK PUIG....
2007 R1200GS  BMW...
2014 Z1000SX ABS TOURER METALIC GRAPHITE GREY,SOLD
2012 SX TOURER METALIC SPARK BLACK.SOLD

Offline kellyboy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2014 Z1000sx abs
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
There are 2 petrol stops in Lochcarron- one at the shop/petrol station and the 2nd which is a self serve 24hr stick your card in jobbie further along past the Lochcarron hotel and on the other side of the road. Durness has the same 24hr self serve job just on the right after you negotiate the 90 degree right on entering the village from the south. Fuel stops as well in Scourie, Kinlochbervie, Tongue etc etc. You shouldn't have any worries with getting fuel.

Offline ceesam

• SX Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:24:40 AM »
Enjoy this route.  You wont regret it.  I would encourage you to go around clockwise if possible.  Going up through the west coast highlands give the most spectacular views.  Still nice coming down but going up is better.

Here is a link to a map of the route, petrol stations and sights to see along the way
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Jib39S6H2A7gzHOZShG0Rfa9KsgzrkU
Hope this helps

It's more than likely tiredness will set in before you run out of fuel so fill up when you need a break.  You will probably need to only fill up once before setting off and once again later but this depends on you planned route.  I would recommend ~200 miles per day.  We did 250 one day and it was too much.  No time to see anything and little time left at the end of the day for a pint!

Almost all the petrol stations are card payment so petrol is available anytime.  I encourage you to stay in Ullapool if possible as it's a great wee village and the pubs are great.  We stayed at the Arch Inn.

All the best and hopefully you get the weather.

Offline Streak198507

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2011 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
Just got back from this last week, no issues with fuel anywhere. Plenty available