Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New style panniers on 2011 model  (Read 312 times)

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
New style panniers on 2011 model
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Does anyone know what's required to convert a 2011 bike to accept the later versions of the panniers. I don't like the bulk of the old variants and the scaffolding looks horrendous. I think it's the rear subframe and pillion handles but not sure, anyone done this already?

Online sooty66

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: knaresborough
Re: New style panniers on 2011 model
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
Can’t comnent on what’s needed to swap to the new panniers,I kept my v35’s from my hornet and fitted the new quick release pannier carrier from givi,pics in the gallery if your interested .

Regards

Andy

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »
I'm almost certain someone on here has done this and it required at least subframe, undertray and grab handles. Have you considered the Give PLXR4100 rapid release case holders for your current panniers. Lots more discreet, ie no great bulky scaffolding, and a fair bit narrower than the oem kit.

https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle#KAWASAKI,Z_1000_SX_(11_%3E_16)

Online MADMITCH

• SX God
  • WRING IT LIKE A WET FLANNEL
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
As Mike has said someone on here did the conversion it required subframe, undertray, grab handles and rear peg hangers with the rubber boot on the hooks then you will probably need the lock set for the panniers unless you can get a set with a key but they are normally pinned to the ignition key so it's unlikely to get one was looking to do this myself but changed my mind as I wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost and faff on so I decided just to stick with my throw overs plus it doesn't add any value to the bike :028:
Thrash it until it can't be Thrashed anymore

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback chaps. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. I don't have the touring version at present but like you Mitch I have some throw over panniers that I use when the top box isn't enough (i.e. when my wife is with me and then I'm demoted to squeezing my stuff into a tank bag :008: ).

Think I'll try and knock up some supports to stop them flopping close to the wheel when fully loaded.