Active Topics

Author Topic: 2017 /18 Factory Suspension Settings Info  (Read 6180 times)

Offline tonyt4

• SX Member
Re: 2017 /18 Factory Suspension Settings Info
Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 19, 08:49:19
Just paid £25 to MH Suspension, Chippenham, to set the suspension up.  His view the suspension components was good, but the factory settings were miles off for most people.  He certainly moved my settings a lot.  Did not really get a chance to check on the track, as it immediately started to rain, and only been on good roads since.  But does seem to track round corners better, and run more smoothly.
My point is not very expensive to have a pro look at it, if there is one near you
Tony

Offline Botic1000

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2019
  • City / Town: Belgrade
Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 20, 08:38:20
*Originally Posted by KD [+]
This may help folk if they like to tinker ...

FYI : I am 16.5 stone now ... bike is a 2018 SX

Rear preload is set to 35mm which is 14 clicks in from fully out ... (OE is 8 clicks)
Rear rebound is set to 2¼ turns out .. (OE is 2½ turns)

Front preload is set to rider sag of 35mm .. unfortunately I don't know how many turns out.
Front rebound is set to 1½ turns out .. (OE is 2¾ turns)
Front compression is set to 1¼ turns out .. (OE is 1¾ turns)

I personally think the internals of there suspension hasn't changed much apart from the rear spring. So these setting (apart from preload) should be a good starting point for the tinkerers.

I way 120kilos, and my tires chicked strips are up and down, how many clicks do yiu think i should adjust?

Offline aljaxon

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: hull
Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 20, 11:39:24
i wish i was a good enough rider to be able to tell the difference to changes in settings

to me everything is  just a blur as i go round bends trying my hardest to keep the bike in my lane at speed and dunno if its adrenaline or shit scarediness but after each ride i cant really say what has just happened.

0n my zx6r i   once rode up and down the same bit of road for 2 hours stopping, changing set up and then ride again to try and detect changes and i honestly couldnt come to any serious conclusion

so i left everything soft and everyone who rode my bike said its unique and like sat in an armchair as if the road isnt there. dived a lot under braking but i got used to it.

whereas the optimum settings according to the mags were all one or two clicks off hardest.

set up like that i couldnt brake hard into corners -leaning over whilst braking right up to the apex (usually cos id misjudged)

the sx is different. it feels like there is play in the head bearings and so everything after that doesnt register.

i need tpo watch some youtube videos on how to set sag. im 14 stone in old money -89kg but often ride with short fat wife = 63kg
Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD350A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

Offline Botic1000

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2019
  • City / Town: Belgrade
Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 20, 07:50:41
Thanks, ima going to do the same thing, find a familiar road and click and adjust and test the settings until i find the best position for my kind of riding. Thanks again for replying💪💪💪💪

Offline aljaxon

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: hull
Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 20, 08:15:08
£25 does sound worth the investment

im gonna watch some youtube videos to set sag and then have a play with the damping.

make a note of my settings and then repeat with wife on back. then i can switch from solo set up to pillion set up in a minute or so.

if its still not brill then ill pay someone.

Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD350A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

expletive