Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Annoying resonance from dash at 3-7k rpm  (Read 808 times)

Offline axlrod

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Annoying resonance from dash at 3-7k rpm
« on: April 11, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
I don't know how this started happening but its there now and it's sooo annoying.

Pretty much when I'm driving in town is when i notice it the most, my dash starts resonating with the engine and makes a noise I can hear even with earplugs in. Holding my hand on top of the dash removes the noise..

Did I miss a screw ? Did service guys miss something ? I Can't see anything out of place or missing..

Can you eliminate it somehow by sticking a weight on it or something similar.. ? Anyone else had this issue ?

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Annoying resonance from dash at 3-7k rpm
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »
If you can actually locate where/what is to blame, it would be better to fit an O ring under it, than a weight on top of it!
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline axlrod

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
yea, maybe i should just start putting orings on all the screws around the area :)

Offline MrPlod

• SX Master
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
No, just take the dash off and look. There's only four screws holding it on. Don't do them up too tight when putting them back! Just nip them in gently and see if the noise has gone.

Offline fallenwout

• SX Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »
I had also an annoying buzz around the dash. Turned out to be the washer from the gps mount touching the tank.

Offline axlrod

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »
had the screws reattached quickly today, didn't change anything, will try and take it off when I got some time. I noticed its the top plastic bit of the dash that resonates, the rest is firm..

Offline axlrod

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »
had the dash cover off today, I think I might know whats causing it now..
Short vid:

The dash is loose in its rubber grommet, and I think it's just vibrating against the dash cover  :006: i'll try and add a rubber spacer to keep it secure there and see what happens..