Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My brakes are very soft  (Read 4420 times)

Offline dev

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Re: My brakes are very soft
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
mdr1970, I don't understand what you mean by that, sorry! :)
I can interpret that in multiple ways:
- original 2011 model was the best so yay!
- 2011 model is old enough in 2018 that break seals should have been replaced already (it's not early at all)
- 2011 model is so good that it doesn't need anything replaced for 100 years :D

Can you clear that up for me? Thanks :D

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
I have been in the motor trade for over 40 years and have never heard of changing caliper seals routinely at regular servicing periods, only if leaking. I have looked in the owners manual and there is no mention of changing the seals, only flexible pipes and fluid. I changed the pipes on my track bike a couple of years ago, bled them and thought job done. Next day tried them and lever hit the handlebar. Bled them again and same happened again, not quite so bad but they were still not satisfactory.  Bled them again and pulled lever back as hard as I could and fastened with a bungee. Next day brakes were perfect.
I am 99% sure all you need to do is bleed them, but I would try the bungee trick overnight as well, and I think you would have no problem.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
 :461: with Mike's posting, but what I meant was that at 7-8 years old, your seals are getting on, so could be considered as a possible fix.

:431: for the confusion!
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline dev

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »
thanks both, that makes sense.

just to make it clear, to bleed my brakes, I need to open the oil canister and press the handle until there are no more bubbles coming up, is that correct?

@mike: after you did this, did it happen again in some time, or was the fix "permanent"?

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Bleed the brakes as per the service manual. if you have, or check out Youtube:

After, or try this first overnight, don't leave the lid off, just tie back the lever...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:40:08 PM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline maccmike

• SX God
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by dev [+]

@mike: after you did this, did it happen again in some time, or was the fix "permanent"?

Brakes stayed perfect so fix was permanent.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
I have been in the motor trade for over 40 years and have never heard of changing caliper seals routinely at regular servicing periods, only if leaking. I have looked in the owners manual and there is no mention of changing the seals, only flexible pipes and fluid.

Here you go Mike, under periodic maintenance:

2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline maccmike

• SX God
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »
Quite right Andy, I stand corrected.

Mine are overdue but there is no way they will be disturbed and neither will the radiator hoses or fuel hoses. Also let's not forget Kawasaki recommend changing plugs at 7500 when they are quite capable of doing well over twice that mileage. In my opinion a lot of the servicing requirements are unnecessary money makers.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:56:33 PM by maccmike »

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 09:52:32 PM »
I agree, i think many of the recommended service intervals are premature.  I believe that Kawasaki probably specify much of this based on a worst case.  I replaced the seals in my calipers around two years ago because the brakes were dragging.  So based on that they lasted 5 years, about 50000 miles, and around 4 sets of pads before needing replacement.    I am pretty sure that with other bikes I have had, the manufacturers have recommended seal replacement with the second brake pad replacement. 

4 years may be premature, but I would suggest that replacement after 7 years is probably not, and almost certain to improve brake operation.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
You mention replacing early, don't forget, as already mentioned regardless of actual mileage your bike is one of the original 2011 machines!
Tis true, when it comes to rubber components, it isnt just how many miles use they have had but how old they are. With age rubber perishes,  becomes brittle and fails. you could take a bike built in 2000, take it the very second its built on the factory floor, put it in a crate and never ever touch the bike for 15 years. It will look in as pristine condition as the second it came out the factory. BUT almost everything rubber will need to be replaced as due to age they will be dry brittle and perishing, they will fail. Tyre manufacturers will only guarantee a tyre for x number of years against failure, cracking / de lamination for this very reason. 
personally if there is no evidence the brake seals have ever been replaced id be replacing them to be on the safe side, do a fluid change at the same time.
The tip of using a bungee or cable tie to pull the brake lever as far back as it will go and leaving it there is to force any air bubbles in the fluid back up into the reservoir, when ive done this in the past i've also loosened off the master cylinder cap (leaving the rubber bung in place) 

Brake hoses are also supposed to be replaced every 4 / 5 years according to the manufacturers, (part of this is ass covering on their behalf) there are many brake hoses working fin out there that are older than 4 / 5 years old. Rubber brake hoses can with age get weak spots due to the rubber perishing and as you apply pressure a section can give way and either burst or balloon out (either way the result is braking pressure fails).

People often put braided hoses on as the braiding encases the rubber hose, keeps a better pressure and doesnt allow the hose to "flex" as much due to pressures put upon them when braking  and less likely to easily rupture.

Its unlikely your boiling the brake fluid, you would need to be doing some pretty heavy braking to do that (track days with lots of constant heavy braking) for this you could look at maybe dot 5.1 instead of dot 4 brake fluid but please read up on the fluid, the pros the cons and NEVER MIXING THE 2.

expletive