Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Compare suspension settings  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Denbow

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Compare suspension settings
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
All I can suggest is turn the pre-load to max, load it up with a pillion and try it. If it's bottoming out you need a stronger spring.  I'm not suggesting there's a fault with yours, every Japanese bike I've had has been soft at the back end, they'll be set up for 9 stone Japanese riders with a 6 stone pilly, not lardy Europeans. 

Offline malcolm159

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2017 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
Ok thanks for reply, you are missing the point your 3 1/2 stone heavier than me and  you can get 35mm rear sag on your bike with 5 full turns to go to fully in so turns to spare . On my bike with me sat on it I can only get 40mm sag with remote fully turned in to the max, I would have thought I should be able to get 35mm or 40mm sag  before I run out of turns. Hence the reason for thinking the  shock is faulty or is there that much difference in the production differences from one shock to another. I see not many people have stated what sag they can get on the 2017 onwards bike on this forum so hopefully we can get more results to compare.
Regards Malcolm

Offline Denbow

• SX Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
The difference could be because my bike's only 6 weeks old with 250 miles. I dare say the spring will soften and the sag increase over the next few months.

Offline Zen56

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Todmorden
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:11 PM »
I had same problem full preload 40 mm of sag on rear. 14 and half stone full gear.
Have had a K tech heavier spring fitted to resolve the issue

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
A side note. It would preudent to put the year of the bike in your answers. The 2014 - 2016 had a softer rear spring than the 2017 - 2018.

The rear preload figures will be dramatically different.

I have set my 2018 up now and I have tweaked everything. I was getting a hopping/skipping sensation all the time.

My figures are:

2018 Z1000SX

Rear preload
OE 8 clicks from fully out. Set to 14 clicks out
Rear rebound
OE 2.5 out. Set to 2.25
—————————————————————
Front preload
OE 5 turns in from fully out (c/clockwise) Set to ??? 35mm preload.
Front rebound
OE 2.75 out. Set to 1.50 out.
Front Compression
OE 1.75 out. Set to 1.25 out.
Regards David.

Offline JoeRock

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2014 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Erith
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by malcolm159 [+]
Ok thanks for reply, you are missing the point your 3 1/2 stone heavier than me and  you can get 35mm rear sag on your bike with 5 full turns to go to fully in so turns to spare . On my bike with me sat on it I can only get 40mm sag with remote fully turned in to the max, I would have thought I should be able to get 35mm or 40mm sag  before I run out of turns. Hence the reason for thinking the  shock is faulty or is there that much difference in the production differences from one shock to another. I see not many people have stated what sag they can get on the 2017 onwards bike on this forum so hopefully we can get more results to compare.
Regards Malcolm

Might be an issue with the preload adjuster (not enough oil essentially). If you wind it out to the point where there's no spring resistance, does it then have further to wind? The full range of adjustment on the adjuster should actually do something, if that makes sense. Had a similar issue to you on the ohlins on my old ZX9R - turned out I had a slight fluid leak on the adjustor which had lost me some fluid. Once rebled it allowed me to add more preload.

Offline Clueso

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Silver
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
Thought I’d add my tuppence worth.

I have a 2018, from what I’ve read there are pretty big differences in suspension settings even comparing to other 2018 bikes.
Decided after 3700miles to have a tinker with the suspension settings having let everything bed in, still on oem tyres. Pressures 40Rear 34 front.
Fully clad with gear on I’m 16 and a bit stone, rider sag rear before tinkering 52mm, 30 turns in from fully out (stock is 8) gives me 40mm rider sag.
Rider sag front 42mm, 8 turns in from fully out (stock is 5) gives me 40mm.
Damping I’ve left all as stock, as pretty happy with the ride quality over pot hills and potholes.
Don’t really want to go any more with preload as find things get too hard, put the front preload back to stock to compare and couldn’t believe how saggy it felt and slow going into corners so went back to the new setting which really quickens the front and holds a better line.
I understand no two bikes are exactly the same, but really seems to be big variances, I’m going to stick with the new settings for now as genuinely feel a noticeable improvement, thoughts please?!

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clueso [+]
Thought I’d add my tuppence worth.

I have a 2018, from what I’ve read there are pretty big differences in suspension settings even comparing to other 2018 bikes.
Decided after 3700miles to have a tinker with the suspension settings having let everything bed in, still on oem tyres. Pressures 40Rear 34 front.
Fully clad with gear on I’m 16 and a bit stone, rider sag rear before tinkering 52mm, 30 turns in from fully out (stock is 8) gives me 40mm rider sag.
Rider sag front 42mm, 8 turns in from fully out (stock is 5) gives me 40mm.
Damping I’ve left all as stock, as pretty happy with the ride quality over pot hills and potholes.
Don’t really want to go any more with preload as find things get too hard, put the front preload back to stock to compare and couldn’t believe how saggy it felt and slow going into corners so went back to the new setting which really quickens the front and holds a better line.
I understand no two bikes are exactly the same, but really seems to be big variances, I’m going to stick with the new settings for now as genuinely feel a noticeable improvement, thoughts please?!

You sure your rear tyre pressure is 40 psi? That's quite a bit under the recommended 46?

Its odd for me. Because I'm 20 to 25 clicks in on rear preload I'm 115kg without gear and I find it crashes over bumps and potholes.. No idea what the sag etc is but I find going further its too harsh and makes the rear on the stock tyres a bit twitchy. It's therefore interesting to read about all the other views and people's set ups. I'm no self confessed suspension guru though and only speaking from butt dyno!

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
Hang on is rear 46 psi or 42 psi?

Offline Denbow

• SX Member