Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RAM mount - above clocks  (Read 9985 times)

Offline Buster Ray

• SX Pro
  • Buster Ray
  • Bike: z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Swinton/S. Yorks
Re: RAM mount - above clocks
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2019, 06:34:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
FEN, get a proper Sat-Nav, don't rely on a phone and best bet is to wire it properly! And yes, this screen mount is much better than the Kawak one!

I got the dealer to take my TomTom mount off old bike and fit to SX at point of purchase, I've no idea where they wired it too but it's somewhere on the ignition.

If doing it myself I would use the spare accessory connector, inside left hand fairing. Hard wiring is much more reliable and secure.

Save the USB for charging your phone!

Best bet is either a TomTom Rider or equivalent Garmin, depending on budget and preference. All others are inferior.  :164:

Pete, I use the short RAM arm, the one supplied with sat-nav.

a little adjustment and you should have a clear view horizontally in medium screen position and only obscuring the lights slightly in portrait.

It takes a little patience and fiddling to get the perfect position. How much room have you got to move it around? My Tom Tom brushes against the inside of the screen slightly when changing from horizontal to portrait.

I use the TomTom Rider with a Puig Screen, it obscures the indicators and neutral light only in landscape, which is how I use it. But I do sit quiet upright and virtually on the tank and a with little nod downwards I can see all.
2015 Touring, Red and Black. Custom Seat. Puig DB Black Screen. Evotech Rad Guard. Leo Vince Cans, R&G boot guards, frame caps and crash bungs
Sent from a phone, using my thumbs.

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
Which ever sat nav you buy will come with everything needed to run it direct to the battery, which imo is the best way to connect it.

On topic

I need to get this screen mount keep meaning to sort it, I have a Puig screen on bike, so once fitted can give some feedback.

If anyone is near me and wants to test it with a Puig welcome to try on mine.
KawaSeXy

Offline Teaboy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2019, 05:10:56 AM »
Fen I recommend. Wiring sat nav in to aux circuit which is ignition live that way when you turn off the ignition sat nav will go to sleep automatically. If you need any information on where to connect to drop me a PM

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Teaboy [+]
Fen I recommend. Wiring sat nav in to aux circuit which is ignition live that way when you turn off the ignition sat nav will go to sleep automatically. If you need any information on where to connect to drop me a PM

:461:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tudor Rebel [+]
Which ever sat nav you buy will come with everything needed to run it direct to the battery, which imo is the best way to connect it.

On topic

I need to get this screen mount keep meaning to sort it, I have a Puig screen on bike, so once fitted can give some feedback.

If anyone is near me and wants to test it with a Puig welcome to try on mine.

Do it! Bob only had a limited run made to start with, he might have made some more by now. but you might want to check soon, just in case

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
:461:
Why, would not want to use one of the 2 auxs on this rather have them foe heated grips n USB charger. (That’s if you have 2)

Two other things, all the wiring to put it to battery comes with the new sat navs, so it’s a pretty easy way too connect it, In fact even easier than connecting it to the aux.

Second is I think I would (for me personally) prefer the sat nav on when the bike is off, they all (well the Garmin 595) shite batteries so if I’m planning route or just looking at things on it sorting what ever I don’t have to have the bike on.

Either way works fine just preference.
KawaSeXy

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tudor Rebel [+]
Why, would not want to use one of the 2 auxs on this rather have them foe heated grips n USB charger. (That’s if you have 2)

Two other things, all the wiring to put it to battery comes with the new sat navs, so it’s a pretty easy way too connect it, In fact even easier than connecting it to the aux.

Second is I think I would (for me personally) prefer the sat nav on when the bike is off, they all (well the Garmin 595) shite batteries so if I’m planning route or just looking at things on it sorting what ever I don’t have to have the bike on.

Either way works fine just preference.

It’s just down to preference really like you said.

Either way works I just don’t like anything drawing power while the bike is off. It’s a safety concern and adds wear to the battery.

I also like the way the satnav turns off with the bike, the TomTom just goes into ‘sleep mode’ rather than off and the battery lasts ages on it.
I can just slip it off if I want to use satnav away from the bike.

The only thing I have direct to the battery is the optimiser cable.