Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 367 times)

Offline VWwanderer

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Derby
Rear Wheel Bearing
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
Hi All,

Has anyone had any issues with really stiff rear wheel bearings?

The bike has only done 2500miles but I finally got sick of the Battlax tyres so thought it was time to change (shiny new Metzler Z01's ready to go on!)! I dropped the rear wheel out at the weekend ready for the new rubber and noticed that I couldn't  turn the bearing on the brake side of the wheel.

With something gripping the inner race I can just turn it, it doesn't feel lumpy or like the bearing has failed. I can best describe it as feeling like the rubber dust seals are binding/sticking.

This doesn't seem normal.......... does it??

Rich

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
No it should roll freely , maybe a call to the dealer to get it looked at and replaced, although "consumable" i wouldnt expect it to fail within 2.5k miles (unless you have some how been pounding it with a pressure washer)

On an older bike i had removed the rear wheel, it hadn't felt lumpy / scratchy and the wheel had been rotating freely and smoothly. Took the wheel off and ball bearings flew out and rolled everywhere, not what i needed on a Sunday afternoon with a bank holiday monday ride all planned.