Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5  (Read 13790 times)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
Re: Michelin Road 5
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by HoloQuest [+]
To be honest I could not tell them apart handling wise. They are both excellent with only one noticeable difference. The Road 5's are very squirrly over Tar Snakes (tar patches along road cracks) and the Angle GT's seem to be almost immune to them.

For me the Angle's win by price, better grip over tar snakes, more even wear front to back and on cleaner looks.

I wish I would have seen some rain riding the Road 5's but I ride pretty easy in the rain so I doubt I would have noticed any difference there either. I would have to be much more confidant in the wet to give a valid opinion of wet grip.

I'm glad I gave the Road 5's a try, it makes me even more satisfied with the Angle GT's.

Interesting, never tried the road5 or the angels. Have tried the road 4 and loved those! Always heard the angels weren't as quick to turn in due to the profile so interesting that you haven't noticed a difference.

Offline ZedsRedBaby

• SX Junior
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
I know i like the Road 5s. Had a set of those and some 4s on my previous bikes. I utterly hate the stock tyres on the SX. 'Thankfully' i got a puncture in my back tyre, and it's pretty close to the wear marker, so i've ordered a fresh pair of 5s which i'll be fitting tomorrow.

I guess the real 'thing' with the top-end of tyres like the 5s, Angels, T30evos and such is the confidence they instil in you. I personally have done many miles on road 4s and 5s, so i'm confident in the tyre. I've ridden low-mileage 4s and low-mileage 5s almost back-to-back and the main thing there is that the 5s seem to take less breaking-in and feel a touch better in the wet and in fast dry cornering.

I guess for me to change brand i'd have to ride on a tyre significantly better to justify the initial lack of confidence.

Offline ZedsRedBaby

• SX Junior
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
Noticed an odd thing while fitting the rear of my Road 5s today:
Due to the softness of the tyre, and the shape of the wheel; Actually inflating the tyre after fitting is a real pain. The tyre doesn't naturally sit outwards enough to seal air in for inflation, at least not with a tyre inflater, with or without valve cores. Ended up having to use a hose with an air line fitting on one end, and a jubilee clip on the other to allow enough airflow to overcome the leaking through gaps.

On my ride home, not 5 miles new, and barely a mile from home; I rolled over a stone which made a 'pop' noise and i thought i'd punctured my nice new tyres. I was not happy. Thankfully wrong, though.

Offline keithzx

• SX Pro
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
that would be the sound of the stone crushing under your new tyre , never heard of any problem's getting a good seal to inflate the rear tyre.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby [+]
Noticed an odd thing while fitting the rear of my Road 5s today:
Due to the softness of the tyre, and the shape of the wheel; Actually inflating the tyre after fitting is a real pain. The tyre doesn't naturally sit outwards enough to seal air in for inflation, at least not with a tyre inflater, with or without valve cores. Ended up having to use a hose with an air line fitting on one end, and a jubilee clip on the other to allow enough airflow to overcome the leaking through gaps.

On my ride home, not 5 miles new, and barely a mile from home; I rolled over a stone which made a 'pop' noise and i thought i'd punctured my nice new tyres. I was not happy. Thankfully wrong, though.

Lol funny you mention the pop. I had this in the weekend her a loud pop that the tyre had a blow out or something lol pulled over few head scratches later realised it was stone or something (first time occurance for me).