Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5  (Read 12274 times)

Online burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Re: Michelin Road 5
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2018, 06:11:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
What's. Your personal opinion on the difference? How has it transformed the bike for you?

Im. Trying to decide between pr4 or. Pr5 vs keeping stock till I wear them out.

Wait until the PR4 is worn out. 

I have had every single variant of the Pilot Road tyres over time and PR3, PR4 and PR5 on the SX.  In my opinion every new version has been better that the last.  The PR5 is probably better than the PR4, but the difference is not worth replacing a good set of PR4s prematurely for.
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

Online Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
Wait until the PR4 is worn out. 

I have had every single variant of the Pilot Road tyres over time and PR3, PR4 and PR5 on the SX.  In my opinion every new version has been better that the list.  The PR5 is probably better than the PR4, but the difference is not worth replacing a good set of PR4s prematurely for.

Thanks burty.. Still on stock Bridgestones at the moment tho.

Online burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »
Apologies I misread your post.

Answer is yes.  Either improves the SX no end over the stock Bridgestone tyres.  The difference cannot be overstated.  That said there are plenty of other alternatives that are popular.   

Personally I would go for the PR5 but the difference between PR5 and PR4 is marginal IMHO.
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

Online Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
Apologies I misread your post.

Answer is yes.  Either improves the SX no end over the stock Bridgestone tyres.  The difference cannot be overstated.  That said there are plenty of other alternatives that are popular.   

Personally I would go for the PR5 but the difference between PR5 and PR4 is marginal IMHO.

Thansk mate. Going to milk as much as I can out of the stock tyres untill the weather properly turns then look at the pilots.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
Out for a ride with my friend yesterday to scrub in his new 5's

The pic shows his old pair with 11.5K on them  :087:

These came off a Blackbird. I'm impressed  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Day's!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
Nice!

Good to know there’s some longevity in the R5’s
Support Your NHS @ 70

Online Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
Interesting wear on the edge compared to the centres.. Presumably that's related to the compound differences.

Offline HoloQuest

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Ninja 1000
  • City / Town: Frankfort, KY
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »
Interesting wear on the edge compared to the centres.. Presumably that's related to the compound differences.

See that line near the middle of the rear? Mine had that too.

With the busy tread pattern, the line down the middle and the different colour and texture at the transition of the compounds (plus chicken strips) I think the rear looks like a sloppy striped mess.

My rear lasted much longer than my front, about 3000 km more!

Compared to my 5 sets of Angle GT's the front wore out about 1500 km's sooner, but the rear lasted about 1500 km's more! The Michelin's were quite a bit more expensive here in the US, so for me the Angle's are a much better deal.

Online Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by HoloQuest [+]
See that line near the middle of the rear? Mine had that too.

With the busy tread pattern, the line down the middle and the different colour and texture at the transition of the compounds (plus chicken strips) I think the rear looks like a sloppy striped mess.

My rear lasted much longer than my front, about 3000 km more!

Compared to my 5 sets of Angle GT's the front wore out about 1500 km's sooner, but the rear lasted about 1500 km's more! The Michelin's were quite a bit more expensive here in the US, so for me the Angle's are a much better deal.

How do you find the turn and front end lightness when comparing the road5 vs the angels? I

Offline HoloQuest

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Ninja 1000
  • City / Town: Frankfort, KY
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »
How do you find the turn and front end lightness when comparing the road5 vs the angels? I

To be honest I could not tell them apart handling wise. They are both excellent with only one noticeable difference. The Road 5's are very squirrly over Tar Snakes (tar patches along road cracks) and the Angle GT's seem to be almost immune to them.

For me the Angle's win by price, better grip over tar snakes, more even wear front to back and on cleaner looks.

I wish I would have seen some rain riding the Road 5's but I ride pretty easy in the rain so I doubt I would have noticed any difference there either. I would have to be much more confidant in the wet to give a valid opinion of wet grip.

I'm glad I gave the Road 5's a try, it makes me even more satisfied with the Angle GT's.

expletive