Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z1000sx frame change  (Read 354 times)

Offline Haiducul

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Z1000sx frame change
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
Hi,
I want to buy an Z1000sx and I saw a newer one that is Cat B. The issue with it is that the lateral stand ripped apart is with a part of the frame and the frame need to be scrapper. I am thinking the bike was loaded o trailer and fixed with to much force and the frame snapped. I am saying that because there are no other marks on the bike so it wasn't involved in a accident. My plan si to buy a new frame and transfer all the parts from the donor to the new frame.
It will take me lots of time to assemble it together but it will be a pleasure.
My question is if somebody did this(maybe with another model) and what are the steps I should follow.
1. If the bike is CAT B the new frame can use the same VIN number or do I need a new VIN number?
2. If i need a new VIN number where can I engrave it?
3. Do I need to go to MOT/DVLA for inspection?
The part in the blue circle is the broken frame bit.

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: Z1000sx frame change
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
That looks like the side stand bracket, if so I would be very tempted to repair rather than change the whole frame.
My bike was a Cat C, and as you say it was a pleasure to repair and put it back on the road. My insurance company insisted on a full MOT test and a letter from a recognised Kawasaki dealer that repairs had been carried out to a satisfactory level.
Whatever path you decide to take good luck and enjoy.

Offline Haiducul

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
Well it isn't the stand bracket,the frame has a bit broken and be crushed and they will give me a certificate of destruction.
I've called to DVLA and it seems it's possible, they will give me a new VIN number, and also I will need to have a receipt with the donor motorcycle VIN(possible anti theft solution).
Perhaps I will need also a full MOT test in order to register it. Can you please tell me if you taken the bike to a Kawasaki dealer to inspect it, and what  things the MOT guys check?
Bellow is the picture with the broken frame(yellow )

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
That bit you have highlighted is the side stand mounting point. I took mine to D & K, my nearest Kawasaki dealer, in Stoke and they gave me a letter confirming road worthiness. The MOT test was exactly that, so the usual, brakes, bearings, steering, lights etc etc.

Offline MADMITCH

• SX God
  • GRIP IT AND RIP IT
  • Bike: 13 Z1000sx
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
When I was in the game I used to just buy a frame from a breakers (already registered) and change the details (engine numbers) via the log book never needed a MOT or any forms to do that the only time that was needed was if you just  repaired the damage a frame change is not a repair so you will not need any documents depending on how old it is if it's less than 3 years old you will need a MOT just to show it's road worthy but mind you new frames are expensive

P.s if you do go with a brand new frame it will come with a new VIN number and it will cost you around £80 to register it and it will probably get a new registration
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:41:20 PM by MADMITCH »
I'm never perfect but I'm always genuine

Recent Topics

expletive