Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Full synthetic, does anyone use it?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
Re: Full synthetic, does anyone use it?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
The only issue I am aware of with fully synthetic is that if you happen to have a leak or something goes wrong and you get oil starvation - you are more likely to suffer severe damage due to the way fully synthetic clings to the bearing surfaces.   Its only in a worst case scenario where you have full or almost full oil loss - semi will give you a greater breathing space before damage occurs when compared to fully.  There were a variety of studies done years ago mostly in relation to jet engines but had some applicability to vehicles.  The plus side of synthetic is that if used within operational specifications it would resist degradation much better and could almost treble its useful life in the engine with much better wear - though warming up an engine more gradually was a critical component - as again gaining surface cover when cold could pose some issues so if you are running fully synthetic get her properly warmed through before stretching her legs. 

Rgds Steve 
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • They be treacle mines out the back..
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
Hi MADMITCH,
 Yeah it is bike oil but Ive often wondered if there is a difference with MODERN oils.

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: Black Mk2 Tourer
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dartagnan [+]
Hi MADMITCH,
 Yeah it is bike oil but Ive often wondered if there is a difference with MODERN oils.
When you think about it modern synthetics were introduced (originally for the aviation industry)to extend the life of oils and on a car now its routine to have 15 or 20k service intervals/oil changes or every 2 years.  If you look at bikes some manufacturer have not caught up with the reality of what's going on and still demand an annual oil change at 7 or 8k - even those with the longest service intervals - BM, KTM and some Hondas it is only 9k and or every year - its utter B....ox.  Mind you its the same with spark plugs - iridium plugs in my new car only require changing every 4 years or 40000 miles: in a bike its generally every major service.  I assume its because dealers make most of their dosh in servicing but I do feel that the biking community are being taken for a ride - in every sense.
Rgds Steve
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Online rc250yz

• SX Junior
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
Rocky, the spark plug point you brought up made me curious, as well.

I asked NGK.  Their answer made sense.  They said the spark plug in our bikes, and in many other bikes, was never a motorcycle specific plug.  Its also used in automotive service...

So, this motorcycle service is considered "severe duty" and its replacement schedule  is shortened because of this.

Maybe it makes sense?  I remember buying a motorcycle specific plug for my old 2002 rm 125 suzuki.

That bike could use a Br8es, no problem, and that plug was 3-4.00..cheap. Well, not really "no problem" Occasionally that br8es would lose its electrode, and ruin the top end.

However, the plug it came with that 02 rm125 was a NGK r6918b and that plug sold  for about 30.00 It had a hand welded electrode,and was much stronger.

Mix this in with what you said, and for sure they will recommend them to be changed early.  More sales and service dollars and added "safety".

Recent Topics