Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Barkbusters hand guards  (Read 9110 times)

Offline djein

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Barkbusters hand guards
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
I shouldn't have an issue with the connectors as I was going to replace them with these connectors to make it easier to take them on and off for when I inevitability want to take the handguards off for summer.

gipsymagpie do you have any links for this Hungarian reseller?

And I was hoping to avoid buying another fuzeblock due to price increase but considering I'm also planning to put a couple of these spotlights on as well as the barkbusters I might just have to bite the bullet, just wish my last one hadn't gone missing when my 2015 z1000sx got nicked.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:56:05 AM by djein »

Offline gipsymagpie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
Ah, you misunderstood me.  I also used the connector you show (AMP Superseal for reference - I made up my own plugs though as it saves another connector further along).

The connectors I am talking about are lodged inside the wiring loom you get with the DRL from Barkbusters.  They are hidden underneath the plastic sheathing and they are rather poorly thought out.

The plastic bits slide off and create a short.  Really annoying.

Fortunately I had a PDM60 electronic fuse block (reassuringly expensive) which meant I didn't chew through loads of fuses/get fed up and throw the DRL away.

I have some D2 Denali spots to fit to my bike (probably on the R&G crash bung mount) in addition to the LED headlight upgrade (6000 lumens  :005:), the Barkbuster DRL, the LED sidelights and the BikeVis v2 bullets just under the headlights.

And the ebay seller you need is cyclemw_2010 although loads of alternates.  I also added some thin black tape (the reflective pinstripe stuff) along the top of my DRL to prevent wasted light going up.

Offline djein

• SX Junior
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:59 AM »
All of the parts for the barkbusters finally arrived and I've managed to get them on and am pretty pleased with the results.

Gipsymagpie I had a good look at the wiring provided by Barkbusters and couldn't find the connectors you mentioned so I'm assuming they have fixed that since you got yours.

Only issue I have is the indicators they work if you turn them on normally, But if I put my hazards on the indicators trip out and take a few seconds to reset and work again. I'm assuming its something to do with the resistors fitted with the Barkbusters indicators and the indicators drawing too much power, because if I remove a bulb or connect and led indicator instead of the standard one the hazards work fine. So it looks like I may have to convert the front indicators to LED.

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by djein [+]
it looks like I may have to convert the front indicators to LED.

You could look at changing the indicator relay to a uni ersal led relay, it ballance out the load and keeps the indicators at a set flash rate (even if you have a mix of led and incandescent lamps) it's simple enough to do. I did a post a while ago mentioning them when I converted all my indicators to led. If you do want to change the fronts out that post also has full pics and specs of the led lamps I used.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »
I've had the same setup running for years now. You don't need the resistors...
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline djein

• SX Junior
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »
Scotty001 I've ordered the relay you linked in your write up and it should arrive with the led bulbs I've ordered, just got to cut out the resistors then fit it hopefully that resolves everything, also am I right in my understanding that running a universal led relay means I can put any combination of led and incandescent indicators anywhere on the bike?

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:01 PM »
Yeah, you can run any combination of led & incandescent indicators with that relay. The relay ballences the load and has a fixed flash rate that all indicators will flash to. On a side note you may not need to cut out the resistors either with this relay being used. Test it first may save yourself some time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:26:09 PM by Scotty001 »

Offline djein

• SX Junior
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:01:39 PM »
Well the new relay and bulbs turned up and I got them fitted, Every thing working correctly now new brighter indicators and my hazards are all ok. Also managed to find time to fit my spot lights overall really happy with the results and really thankful for the advice you guys gave.  :828:

If any one says they didn't see me I think I would have a case for them being legally blind. :008:
Now all I need to do is maybe look at some LED bulbs for the rear.

Offline gipsymagpie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 08:29:52 PM »
Where are the spots attached?

Offline djein

• SX Junior
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 08:58:00 PM »
I mounted them on the OEM engine bars with a Clamp and used a Round Connector Nut with some M10 bolts to act as a bar to attach the mount the Spotlights came with, Though I had to use a bit of tape around the bars to protect them from the clamp and a little bit of tape to make the round nuts a bit wider. I also used a nut and washer on the top to make sure the Spots cant come off the top of the round nut.
All you have to do to get them on and off is use the 2 bolts at the front of the clamp.

I could do with trimming off the excess tape on the bar but other than that I think they look ok and have a reasonable amount of articulation to get them aligned correctly.

expletive