Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlight Bulbs  (Read 90444 times)

Offline Robbus

• SX Junior
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
Re: LED Headlight Bulbs
« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
Big thanks to Maccmike for super quick supply of the spacers. Bulbs are in and look to be working great. First proper test tomorrow night.

Has anyone managed/bothered to tighten the grub screw on the heat sinks?

Cheers,
Rob

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robbus [+]
Big thanks to Maccmike for super quick supply of the spacers. Bulbs are in and look to be working great. First proper test tomorrow night.

Has anyone managed/bothered to tighten the grub screw on the heat sinks?

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks Rob. Found it too difficult to get at the grub screw so didn't bother to tighten it. My thoughts are the heat sink will not come loose if tightened enough against the rubber boot, and after 3 years there are no signs of it coming off.

Offline Robbus

• SX Junior
  • Bike: '15 Z1000SX
« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2019, 09:01:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
Thanks Rob. Found it too difficult to get at the grub screw so didn't bother to tighten it. My thoughts are the heat sink will not come loose if tightened enough against the rubber boot, and after 3 years there are no signs of it coming off.

My thoughts too, and it's easy enough to stick a hand in to check them now and again. Thanks Mike!

Offline Runich

• SX Member
« Reply #423 on: October 01, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
Many thanks to Maccmike for supplying his spacers.  I fitted the LED head and side lamps yesterday (the same models as previous recommendations) and they work really well.  One gotcha is that I found the grub screws on the heat sink are delicate and quite difficult to remove with the supplied allen key.  I had to send one set back since the grub screw was rounded off and I couldn't remove the heat sink.

Offline Shorty

• SX Member
« Reply #424 on: October 02, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
Morning

Im just about to have a go with the led install and just wanted to check that i have the spacer correct. Thanks all

Offline Runich

• SX Member
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
Pretty much, although the spacer should be pushed up so that it is flush and lined up with the flange on the LED lamp.

Offline Shorty

• SX Member
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
AH cheers, so no gap then between the original and Mikes spacers ?

Offline Runich

• SX Member
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
Yes, that's right.  Then install into lamp housing, secure with clip, install the rubber cover and replace the heatsink.

Offline Shorty

• SX Member
« Reply #428 on: October 02, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
Well job done and thanks to every one for the advice. Took fairing panels off to make life easier. All done now including the side lights.

Cheers all

Offline gipsymagpie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Now had LED in for a while with no issues, although my led don't seem to have the external fan you all seem to have.

Anyway, decided to add my Denali spots too so now have veritable light fest.

In reality all lights are a good colour match (LED in headlight, LED sidelight bulbs, Barkbuster LED handguards, 2x Bikevis bullets plus Denali D2 spots (in 1000% more with high beam, 50% with dipped).   Night ride test to come.

Also just in case there are any questions, yes the indicators do still stand out when lit.

Used a mounting plate on same bolt as r&g bungs

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:10:13 PM by gipsymagpie »

expletive