Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlight Bulbs  (Read 45493 times)

clemmc1 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Toonshorty

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2014 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: LED Headlight Bulbs
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »
Heads up for anyone having any problems with LED sidelights:

I fitted a set of LED headlights and sidelights a while back and they were working great up until the bike was serviced.

The garage actually did a great job of tucking away the transformers but once I got the bike back, I noticed the right sidelight wasn't working. I figured it was just the bulb and figured I'd have a look at it in a few weeks when I had some time. I was riding down the A1 the other day and tried to flash this gentleman to let him out, only he seemed very hesitant despite mashing the pass button. I then realised the pass button wasn't actually working, although the dipped/full beam switch did work - so it wasn't the bulb.

Took the clock fairing off today to have a look, and realised the garage forgot to connect the wire from the right sidelight. Connected it back up expecting the bulb to light up and there was nothing. After much faffing and consulting the wiring guide in the Haynes manual, I remembered LEDs are diodes and therefore need to be fitted the right way round. Flipped the bulb round 180° and both the sidelight and pass switch started working again.

TL;DR If anyone is having issues with LED sidelights and the pass switch, try rotating the bulbs.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
 :028:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline mladench

• SX Junior
  • Bike: z1000sx (2011)
  • City / Town: Ljubljana
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:58 AM »
ok, so i ordered mike's spacers. Do you have any suggestions what Led bulbs to buy (amazon/ebay - ship to slovenia) max. 50€ (or should i buy more expensive one)?

Cheers

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #343 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Finally got around to doing this on my bike!

The results are amazing and it was surprisingly easy to do, thanks to everyone’s help on here.

In the end I used:

1. T10 w5w Car Led Bulb -https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HSYZWR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NHKBAb5YWPQ0N

2. H7 headlight bulbs, Autofeel 80W 8000lm 6500K Cool White LED https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XHXXXH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mMKBAbPH4HXZN

3. Maccmike Spacers.

Only advice I’d give is as silly as it sounds but, unless you’re blessed with a nice garage, make sure you do this in the morning and not late afternoon like I did. Otherwise, like me you’ll end up finishing it in the dark, trying to wedge your iPhone somewhere as a torch  :oh_no:

The hardest part was just trying to replace the clips that hold bulbs in.
I used double sided tape to fix the boxes in place but it doesn’t work well. Stronger tape or self adhesive Velcro might be better.

I would also recommend having a couple of cable ties just to help tidy away the excess wiring. I will go back and do this after a road test tomorrow.

Most importantly, if anyone wants to do this, but like me is worried about their skill. Don’t be, if I can do it anyone can!

It seems the norm to add pictures, so not wanting to disappoint I’ve added some too.

I included a half way picture where the high beam bulb is changed and the normal headlight side is as standard. It really shows the amazing difference.

You can also see by the tpictures how I started in daylight and finished in dark! But it only took less than an hour to complete.

One more mention for Maccmike and a big thank you!   :828:

*Originally Posted by mladench [+]
ok, so i ordered mike's spacers. Do you have any suggestions what Led bulbs to buy (amazon/ebay - ship to slovenia) max. 50€ (or should i buy more expensive one)?

Cheers

Get the ones mentioned in this previous posting, link to a good set of side lights in there too!
Running side lights as well really makes a difference  :028:

Offline trialsguy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 N1K
  • City / Town: Port Washington
« Reply #344 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »
I bought the LED bulbs show in the link, above, a few months ago.  I've just installed them.  But I've not yet ridden at night.

Questions -

1) Is it OK to have the heat sink "inside" the rubber boot?  How hot does the heat sink get?

2) I oriented the LED to the 12 o'clock position, to mimic the stock H7 filament position.  Is that the best position/orientation?

3) I assumed that I need both "black boxes" connected in series for each bulb.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

2016 N1K, Carbon Grey, Factory hard bags, Puig Racing Windscreen (dark), V Stream Tall windscreen (clear), Foot peg lower-ers, Cortech filler mount tank bag, Zumo GPS & holder, heated grips, USB outlet, heated gear outlet,

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #345 on: May 16, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
Heat sink is better outside the rubber boot, enabling better air cooling.
LEDs should be horizontal in orientation = Side to side
2 black boxs  :187:  I can only assume yours have arrived with resistors, which are not needed as the bike is not CANbus loomed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:26:28 PM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

Offline trialsguy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 N1K
  • City / Town: Port Washington
« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Heat sink is better outside the rubber boot, enabling better air cooling.
LEDs should be horizontal in orientation = Side to side
2 black boxs  :187:  I can only assume yours have arrived with resistors, which are not needed as the bike is not CANbus loomed.

Ah!  A diagram is worth a thousand words.  Mine are oriented like the diagram on the right, the LEDs shine to the sides, and their mounting surface is vertical. 

On the rubber boot, it looks like I would need to cut out the center section of the rubber boot in order to make room for the front (narrower) portion of the heat sink?  As it is, the front of the heat sink is contacting the "wire clip" that holds the bulb in.  It rubbed on the wire clip in two places when I screwed them onto the back of the bulb. But I was able to screw them all the way on, just fine.

The instructions that my LEDs came with made no mention of CANBUS resistors, and resistors were not shown in the wordless instruction/diagrams.  I will pull them out of the circuit. 
2016 N1K, Carbon Grey, Factory hard bags, Puig Racing Windscreen (dark), V Stream Tall windscreen (clear), Foot peg lower-ers, Cortech filler mount tank bag, Zumo GPS & holder, heated grips, USB outlet, heated gear outlet,

Offline mladench

• SX Junior
  • Bike: z1000sx (2011)
  • City / Town: Ljubljana
« Reply #347 on: May 17, 2018, 05:27:35 AM »
Thanks for links and replays. I ordered Leds from amazon that Mike suggested. So now I waiiiit for postman.

Thanks for that diagram @mdr1970. I relay didn't think orientation of led's are important. What else should I watch?
How to protect the connection between the wires (motorcycle cable and bulb connector)? just electric tape? Nothing? I was thinking putin it on a hot glue?

cheers

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #348 on: May 17, 2018, 06:23:26 AM »
For the join, I cut off a finger from an xxxl nitrile glove. I use them over the top of any of my gloves for 100% waterproofing! then zip tied each end  :028: but there are of course other solutions available  :008:
2014 Z1000SX Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:  :820:

expletive