Active Topics

Author Topic: replacement tyres  (Read 15580 times)

Offline Mort

• SX Master
Re: replacement tyres
Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 11, 02:26:17
Thanks Bilbs - that's another positive report for a 190/55 rear - very tempted to give it a try.

Offline Oz

• Non Active
  • SX God
Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 11, 07:21:16
bilbs
Welcome to another Aussie.

I'm very happy with my Conti Road Attack 2's  :062: in the dry anyway. I'm yet to get them wet.

I also went for a 190/55 rear and yes the turn into corners is even better although I thought it was already very sharp with the stock 190/50 compared to the slow turning VFR800 I previously had. I'm now wondering if my next rear tire should be a 180/55 as it would be even a quicker turn into corners.

Also, keep your eye on that PR3 rear tyre especially when summer arrives. Lew posted a thread on one reported failing in the US that occurred recently. Do a search and you should find the posting somewhere on this site, pictures and all.
Last Edit: 18 Jul 11, 07:28:24 by Oz

Offline bilbs

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 11, 11:53:57
*Originally Posted by Oz [+]

bilbs
Welcome to another Aussie.

I'm very happy with my Conti Road Attack 2's  :062: in the dry anyway. I'm yet to get them wet.

I also went for a 190/55 rear and yes the turn into corners is even better although I thought it was already very sharp with the stock 190/50 compared to the slow turning VFR800 I previously had. I'm now wondering if my next rear tire should be a 180/55 as it would be even a quicker turn into corners.

Also, keep your eye on that PR3 rear tyre especially when summer arrives. Lew posted a thread on one reported failing in the US that occurred recently. Do a search and you should find the posting somewhere on this site, pictures and all.

gday Oz .... yep I saw that thread re the PR3. The proof is in the pudding for me. I have always used Pilots and have faith in them. I was looking at the Conti's but it was inferred that they wouldn't last as long ... oh well, might try them next time if the PR3 fails .... a note on the 180/55 .... got a feeling you might run out of tyre on corners ..... I have only done 150 kms on my 190/55 and have already scrubbed it right to the edge ..... not 100% sure on the science regarding that statement of course (I think we are only talking mm's here) ..... I did have a 180 on my blackbird and that bike did handle very well for a big bike .....

Offline silverfox

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2011 gbf
  • City / Town: Meopham kent
Reply #13 on: 02 Dec 11, 06:06:43

Just replaced my stock 016s managed 3700 mls, but really should have at 3000 front was worse than the rear, Michelin pilot 2s had them on my last bike gsx1250, gr8 tyre duel compound just scrubbed them in the sx is back to its best....

If you're going to have one have a green one.

Offline lew600fazer

• SX God
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat du D
Reply #14 on: 03 Dec 11, 04:19:26
Hi Silverfox , I am running on Pilot 2's as well as you say they are a good tyre and a proven record. To be honest though I likely would have gone for the 3's but when I spotted the post on the CBF site and posted here of the failure of the 3's I decided to stick with what I knew, plus I got a dam good deal for front and rear, got the rear on e-bay and the front from Crossan tyres , I think I only paid 165 quid for the pair in the end.
Lew
FZ6 S1,CBF1000GT,Z1000SX,FZ6 S2,FZ1, MT-09, MT09 Tracer

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #15 on: 03 Dec 11, 07:04:40
I now have 6900 miles on the OE BT016s.  The rear is very square and on the wear marks.  The front is now a very odd shape.  I had a big slide in the wet yesterday, but I was asking for it.  Ive never liked the feel of these tyres and they feel much worse now.  However I think they perfirm pretty well on the whole. 

I am getting a new set of PR3s on monday.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 9
 years on SXs.

Offline Squashed

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX GREEN
  • City / Town: North of Watford
Reply #16 on: 03 Dec 11, 10:16:20
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
I now have 6900 miles on the OE BT016s.

That's fair mileage for the 016s. Mine are on 4.5k now and I'm planning to replace them by the spring. I'll most likely have 6k on them by the time I get round to it. They're both squared off, particularly the front but the bike still handles well.

*Originally Posted by lew600fazer [+]
I think I only paid 165 quid for the pair in the end.

That's a good price for a pair. I think I'm going to go down the PR2 route. I ran the Daytona with PR1s until the 2 came out then ran a 1 at the front and a 2 at the rear. Good tyres.
Watch out where the huskies go
And don't you eat that yellow snow

Offline lew600fazer

• SX God
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat du D
Reply #17 on: 04 Dec 11, 04:11:53
*Originally Posted by Squashed [+]

That's fair mileage for the 016s. Mine are on 4.5k now and I'm planning to replace them by the spring. I'll most likely have 6k on them by the time I get round to it. They're both squared off, particularly the front but the bike still handles well.

*Originally Posted by lew600fazer [+]
I think I only paid 165 quid for the pair in the end.

Dave do a search for Crossan tyres , it may come under www.visorshop.co.uk, anyway they are based in Newry Co Down in N Ireland, They actually do or did free P&P. I bought the front one from them for 85 quid and I got the rear one from a guy on e-bay. He had it to fit to his bike but traded the bike. It was new still had the Michilin wrapper around it 74.99+5quid P&P. My dealer fitted them as I was having the bike serviced
Lew

That's a good price for a pair. I think I'm going to go down the PR2 route. I ran the Daytona with PR1s until the 2 came out then ran a 1 at the front and a 2 at the rear. Good tyres.
FZ6 S1,CBF1000GT,Z1000SX,FZ6 S2,FZ1, MT-09, MT09 Tracer

Offline Squashed

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX GREEN
  • City / Town: North of Watford
Reply #18 on: 05 Dec 11, 10:29:17
Nice one Lew.
Watch out where the huskies go
And don't you eat that yellow snow

Offline audioTom

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX Ebony
  • City / Town: Bonn
Reply #19 on: 06 Dec 11, 08:22:07

Wow, thats impressive!
Right now, i have about 6000km on the OE BT016s, and on the rear there's not much left.
Dont know what i will choose, in Germany there are only a few tyres allowed for the SX. Sadly you can't choose from all tyres.... I'm a big fan of pirelli's, cause the Diablo Rosso Corsa was so wonderful on the ZX6R, but Pirelli has no homologation for the SX  :003:

expletive