Active Topics

Author Topic: How much do you pay?  (Read 59916 times)

Online 43mhr

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2019
  • City / Town: Rushcliffe
Re: How much do you pay?
Reply #250 on: 06 Apr 20, 06:28:21
I find insurance premium comparisons quite meaningless. The net premium depends on age, experience, amount of no claims discount, whether the N.C bonus is protected, licence points, level of excess etc. etc.   Without knowing what these variables are, it is impossible to draw any conclusions about the value of the premium paid.

Offline Boxty

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 1000sx
  • City / Town: cambs
Reply #251 on: 07 Apr 20, 09:39:52
*Originally Posted by 43mhr [+]
I find insurance premium comparisons quite meaningless. The net premium depends on age, experience, amount of no claims discount, whether the N.C bonus is protected, licence points, level of excess etc. etc.   Without knowing what these variables are, it is impossible to draw any conclusions about the value of the premium paid.
What I find interesting is the wild variation between the high and low prices and how one company can be really competative one year and miles off the next

Offline ooooo

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX & CRF250
  • City / Town: Bolton
Reply #252 on: 07 Apr 20, 03:14:19
*Originally Posted by 43mhr [+]
:461: we are better off chatting about which insurance company was good to deal with when we made a claim. I don't mind paying for good service or product, as they say 'buy cheap, buy twice' 

Online DDHughes

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2014 in Green
  • City / Town: South Yorkshire
Reply #253 on: 09 Apr 20, 10:44:07

There is one good thing about pushing 60  -  I'm just getting quotes for my annual policy and both Bennetts and Swinton are quoting £94.50 fully comp.

That's 5000 miles a year, with maximum 9 years No Claims Discount, passed the test in 1979, now retired and living in Yorkshire. (I don't own a car, but am on the wife's policy)

The excess is a bit tasty though, at £350 !

Offline Harley

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000
Reply #254 on: 10 Jul 20, 08:40:41
Bin with Benetts 20 yrs I decided to get the new 2020 1000sx the old one was 11 months old but the chain was getting slack. 😂 contacted Benetts the premium was up from £190 to £390. I said to the young lady , quite politely, she must have it wrong , it’s the same engine and performance in fact with the new spec it’s safer. I said you must be looking at the wrong one and after much deliberation admitted it was not on their database. After putting the phone down I contacted Greenham and said that loads of people insure with Benetts and must have this problem they said yes they are all trying it on cos it’s a Ninja now, try Kawasaki insurance guess what £190

Offline vanquishride

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: Ellesmere Port
Reply #255 on: 10 Jul 20, 10:00:03
I pay £394 which I think is terrible. I use Cornmarket who give a discount for IAM members.

I rang around loads this year also.

Might try Kwaka next year.

Offline Harley

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000
Reply #256 on: 11 Jul 20, 09:32:52
Further to my post yesterday re insurance cost, I said I got it for £190 actually turned out another fiver. I cannot believe these companies have the audacity to say things like “ it’s not been out long and it’s not on our database” . It’s about time these big companies offer something more than just having to talk to a young person who insists it’s not on their database and won’t let you talk to someone else who probably has the answers, as a result I am now with another company after 20 plus years with Benetts who insisted £395 was correct as the bike is totally different to last years model.  if anything it should be cheaper as the added features make it safer.
Anyhow, after a year on the 2019 model ,a great bike, but what a difference the 2020 model is, so smooth with the the fly by wire throttle, smooths out all the gear changing

Offline kriegar

• SX Junior
Reply #257 on: 30 Jul 20, 10:24:05
It makes me a little sick when I see people on here getting fully comp insurance for £100 a year... I'm 27 and the cheapest quote I get is £1000.

The biggest factor seems to be the storage, I have it parked on my driveway. Parking in a garage drops it by over half!

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #258 on: 30 Jul 20, 11:12:52
Insurance premiums are bizarre. I'm taking voluntary redundancy and retiring tomorrow at the grand old age of 53. Thought I had better tell my insurers about change of occupation:

MCE (my Fireblade) charged me £17.50 even though I removed "commuting" from policy

Carol Nash (my Z1000SX) charged me £30 (would have been more but I reduced the annual miles due to covid)

Aviva (my car) are giving me a £20 rebate...

Online gavuk

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Reply #259 on: 31 Jul 20, 07:24:26
I know it's not specific to the z1000sx but I recall as a younger aged 17 reading MCN and seeing an advert showing prices for insurance and how (theoretically ally) it went down with age..

Now I'm 53 with (again theoretically) lower insurance.... But wishing I was 17 again...  :451: