Active Topics

Author Topic: ABS Warning light  (Read 7969 times)

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Re: ABS Warning light
Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 14, 10:09:07
Finally I got to the bottom of this issue.  There may be a warning here for others too.

The fuse blew again the other day, and repeatedly on replacement, within a few miles riding.  The first start was to see what fault codes the ABS was storing, if any.  Anyway, there is a metal plate fitted under the front seat right at the back.  This guards access to the ABS diagnostic connectors.  Mine is held in place by a bolt at the top and a tamperproof (one way bolt) at the bottom (presumably this is normal even if it is a little peculiar).  Not only is this a tamperproof bolt but it's fitted with some threadlock as well so they really didn't want anyone to be removing it.  I had to drill the bolt out to get the plate off.  Removing the plate instantly revealed the problem.  The plate was clamping down on the cables to the diagnostic connectors (it looks like this is deliberate) and over time this had caused the insulation to become damaged and a short to occur.  It looks like the arrangement is intenational, even if it is a little dumb from a design perspective.  The short is definitely the cause of the fuse blowing so hopefully now it is repaired and cables re-arranged the problem won't reocurr.

BTW, reading the manual thoroughly there is all sorts of diagnostic information available from the ABS, but the long and short of it is if you have a problem and it's not a sensor or cabling issue, it's likey to be a problem with the ABS unit.  This is a single device with everything in the box.  There is no serviceable parts meaning a replacement is the only solution.  The cost?.........£1144 !!!  Best hope it never goes wrong.

2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline Gavin1000

• SX Member
  • Bike: Black & White
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 14, 09:23:58
Thanks for the heads up on the problem and how you solved it.

As for the ABS unit itself, I think that this might be the reality of modern bikes now.  Large electronic modules/units that are not maintainable but have to be replaced completely when they fail....at considerable cost.  :827:

Offline grs

• SX Master
Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 14, 08:09:21
Thanks for sharing the solution. Such a short will be very hard to find if one doesn't know were to look.

Offline lew600fazer

• SX God
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: La Sauvetat du D
Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 14, 09:36:26
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
Finally I got to the bottom of this issue.  There may be a warning here for others too.

The fuse blew again the other day, and repeatedly on replacement, within a few miles riding.  The first start was to see what fault codes the ABS was storing, if any.  Anyway, there is a metal plate fitted under the front seat right at the back.  This guards access to the ABS diagnostic connectors.  Mine is held in place by a bolt at the top and a tamperproof (one way bolt) at the bottom (presumably this is normal even if it is a little peculiar).  Not only is this a tamperproof bolt but it's fitted with some threadlock as well so they really didn't want anyone to be removing it.  I had to drill the bolt out to get the plate off.  Removing the plate instantly revealed the problem.  The plate was clamping down on the cables to the diagnostic connectors (it looks like this is deliberate) and over time this had caused the insulation to become damaged and a short to occur.  It looks like the arrangement is intenational, even if it is a little dumb from a design perspective.  The short is definitely the cause of the fuse blowing so hopefully now it is repaired and cables re-arranged the problem won't reocurr.

BTW, reading the manual thoroughly there is all sorts of diagnostic information available from the ABS, but the long and short of it is if you have a problem and it's not a sensor or cabling issue, it's likey to be a problem with the ABS unit.  This is a single device with everything in the box.  There is no serviceable parts meaning a replacement is the only solution.  The cost?.........£1144 !!!  Best hope it never goes wrong.
Burty, just tossing this into the pot. Do you have a top box fitted ? wondering if the weight could be entered into the equation.
When the sx came out you could not have the top box and the panniers fitted due to the rear sub frame being alloy, just a thought.
FZ6 S1,CBF1000GT,Z1000SX,FZ6 S2,FZ1, MT-09, MT09 Tracer

Offline burty

• SX God
Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 14, 11:25:01
Hi Lew, my bike was fitted with a rack when I bought it, but that was soon removed as I cannot see a time when I will use it and I didn't like the way that it obscures the rear light.  (Actually I have contemplated selling it).

I can't see that having caused any issues, these are definitely due to the ABS loom rubbing on the bottom edge of the plate.  The plate has a curved up edge so this does look intentional. I just can't figure out how anyone thought it was a good idea.  Surely anyone that has done any distance on a bike will know that this would cause wear?!  I am also curious about the whole tamperproof screw arrangement.  I have encountered tamperproof screws on a bike in the past but this was built to be permanent, but it prevents access to the ABS diagnostic terminal. 

Offline b1k3rdude

• SX Member
Reply #15 on: 09 Mar 20, 07:31:02
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
Mine is held in place by a bolt at the top and a tamperproof (one way bolt) at the bottom (presumably this is normal even if it is a little peculiar).  Not only is this a tamperproof bolt but it's fitted with some threadlock as well so they really didn't want anyone to be removing it.
Does anyone have a photo of this plate and its location, seems like todo task for a new owner.

Offline burty

• SX God
Reply #16 on: 16 May 20, 03:42:46
*Originally Posted by b1k3rdude [+]
Does anyone have a photo of this plate and its location, seems like todo task for a new owner.

Here you go:

Two tamperproof bolts, one at the top one at the bottom.  (This is my newer SX, not the one i referred to previously.)