Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Z1000SX today?  (Read 591875 times)

Offline NorfolkNinja

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Newport, Wales
Re: What did you do to your Z1000SX today?
« Reply #3550 on: February 16, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by NoddyNinja [+]
Looks good if a tad expensive
IMHO anything that makes it difficult for tea leafs is worth having
If they really want it there's not much that will stop them, but this will put off the opportunist thiefs  :725: :725:
It's more convenience than anything, as a percentage of the total cost of my bike it works out at 1.5% which I think is reasonable. Also, you could easily pay a lot more for an Abus lock which wouldn't faze a dedicated thief. RoadLoK’s are rated in category MC3 for mechanical immobilisers, evaluation number: TMC3 323/1210 so should attract an insurance discount.

Offline Travster

• SX Member
« Reply #3551 on: February 17, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by NorfolkNinja [+]
I finally bit the bullet and bought a Roadlok from the official UK reseller at £168 delivered, no waiting from the USA and then adding taxes.
I usually use an Oxford Alpha XA14 disc alarm but it is very heavy, great quality but a bugger to transport. So I got the Roadlok purely for convenience, all you have in your pocket is a stainless steel locking pin. My last bike was an MT01 to which the previous owner fitted a disc lock, forgot it and ripped out a brake line. In my dotage (61 in a couple of weeks) I didn't want to do the same thing as the Roadlok simply locks the wheel, good for preventing any rolling off the stand too!
Fitting is a breeze using the suggested 'B' spacer and 90mm bolts, the 80mm bolts are too short but suitable for bikes up to 2014 so there must be a difference in the calliper casting. 27ft lbs seemed far too much so I gauged it by feel, I had heard of one biker stripping the threads though I think he was forcing the wrong pitch thread into his BMW.
Of course the nay sayers will say anybody wanting the bike will simply pick it up and stick it into a van, nothing you can do will stop a determined thief. The convenience factor and the way it looks OE makes it a winner for me, Roadlok supplies it to KTM for over £300, mind you it is anodised orange/gold!

I am really interested in getting one of these, where in the UK did you buy this?

Regards Travster

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
  • Bike: SX LFF 2015 RnB
« Reply #3552 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
Fitted a Rad Guard and Fender Extender.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #3553 on: February 18, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
Can anyone else confirm whether all the R&G guards fit like that, or is it just me that thinks it looks to small  :187:

My Beowulf covers the WHOLE rad...
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline sooty66

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: knaresborough
« Reply #3554 on: February 18, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Mine definitely covers the whole radiator,wonder if it needs to be on the other side of the bottom radiator mount to move it over slightly,I can't recall which side it fits on,and that bracket you can see in the middle photo should be facing the other way according to R&G's fitting instructions,wondering if this is the right one,I have a pic of the rad and downpipe grill in my gallery,but can't post it as works computer is being a pain,will check when I get in tonight
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:25:48 AM by sooty66 »
Once you've had black,you'll never look back

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
« Reply #3555 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
It can't go the other side of the mount.
It might move down and over to the left ( as viewed by pic) a couple of mm only if the brackets are bent slightly.
The R&G website and fitting instructions, for the SX 2013 onwards, show it only covers the matrix not the flat rad ends.

Offline NorfolkNinja

• SX Member
  • City / Town: Newport, Wales
« Reply #3556 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Can anyone else confirm whether all the R&G guards fit like that, or is it just me that thinks it looks to small  :187:

My Beowulf covers the WHOLE rad...
I thought that when I fitted mine, just checked and the black frame edge on the offside is maybe 1mm shy of the rad casting, nearside lines up exactly. I remember having to bend the bracket over slightly to get the guard central, it's thin gauge metal so easy to bend over. I thought the black frame would cover the rad casting but it doesn't, it obscures the rad fins 10mm both sides, nothing to worry about considering the total area of the rad.

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
« Reply #3557 on: February 18, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
I think it's because the same guard fits Z750(S) '07->. Z1000/Z1000SX (2010 onwards), Z800 (2013 onwards) and Versys 1000 '12- models onwards.
If it covered the side tank parts of the rad it would push it forward and the Horn mount would need more than a little bend to make it fit the Z?

Offline unclefester

• SX Member
  • City / Town: Knebworth
« Reply #3558 on: February 21, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
Dragged it out of the garage and rode it to work and back. Still love it. It stays another year.

Online walmsleyr

• SX Pro
  • Bike: z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: n.lincs
« Reply #3559 on: February 23, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
hi all my bike is now out of hibernation and moved from the rear of property and now resides at the front under the kitchen window.all checks done and correct ,pressed starter fired straight away ran up till hot and no dramas.now chained and covered ,now ready for the off sometime next week. :046: :305:
HONI SONT QUI MAL Y PENSE