Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Z1000SX today?  (Read 474479 times)

Offline yorkie

• SX Junior
Re: What did you do to your Z1000SX today?
« Reply #3040 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by KD [+]
Bought a 35 litre dry bag at the Bath and West Classic bike show, last weekend.

Trial fitted the dry bag on the pillion seat ready for the 3 trips that I have this year. (Southern France, Northern Spain/Portugal and Switzerland).
Bag to be used in conjunction with the Givi Top Box or OE Panniers.
You can also see I have replaced the ventura sports rack with the new ventura top box bracket rack.

I finally found a use for 3 of the old registration plates I had hanging on the garage wall. (Base for inside the bag , all duct taped together).

Hi KD, I see that you're holding the dry bag on with bungees. Have you tried Rok Straps??, far superior and no nasty hooks to scratch the bike.

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #3041 on: February 09, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by yorkie [+]
Hi KD, I see that you're holding the dry bag on with bungees. Have you tried Rok Straps??, far superior and no nasty hooks to scratch the bike.

:460:
Rock Straps rule!

I use them exclusively when blood running and they are really easy to use for all carrying needs!

Online KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #3042 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by yorkie [+]

Hi Yorkie. No I haven't tried them ... But !!!

Lime green Rok Straps now ordered ...  :028:

Cheers. Will give them a go ..
Regards David.

Offline Arek

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tourer
  • City / Town: Wantage
« Reply #3043 on: February 11, 2018, 10:50:54 AM »
Mounted rad guard ordered from China :-) Good solid piece of metal. A bit work to made one hole a bit bigger for slide it to mount, and added rubber around inside protector to distance it from rad. Not bad for £24 with shipping. Plus £2 for rubber strips :-)
 I wasn't aware that I will be forced to take off fairing from my bike. Upper rad bolt wasn't particularly accessible.
So from 30min job it turn to 4 hours :-)
However, nothing broken, all back in right place and no parts left after  :046:

Offline BourneRider

• SX Member
« Reply #3044 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
Over the weekend a friend and myself tinkered with my machine.
I removed the stock headers and got rid of the nasty cat. Replace with Akrapovic headers and replaced my Scorpion Serkat end cans. She purrs really really loudly now, will have to put the baffles back in to try and not fall out with my neighbours when I leave in the mornings around 6:30-7am :)

I also upgraded my headlights to dual HIDs with halos, have to say i'm really impressed with the result, they look pretty decent and emit a lovely amount of light, much better than the stock candles.

Lastly i changed the chain and sprocket for the first time (16/39 combo). Rental ultra lightweight sprockets and DID heavy duty X ring gold chain.

Unfortunately, and i'm guessing some others may have had this issue (or maybe it's just me) i managed to break the plastic lug on the upper cowling (nose cone) that holds the speedo frame in place (and the side fairings). I think i may have over tightened them at some point (or maybe it was the previous owner) so the plastic was a bit fragile and i knocked it when replacing the mirrors and it snapped :(
Going to try gluing it back together, unless anyone else has any other ideas? buying a replacement nose cone will cost me £150 (new) so anything i can try and do before i reluctantly go that way would be preferable.

Oh and went to fit R&G rad guard and lower rad guard, but my bolt that holds the bottom of the rad to the frame is seized to buggery and when i put a bit of effort in the thing started to bend so i stopped before it snapped completely.

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #3045 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by BourneRider [+]

Unfortunately, and i'm guessing some others may have had this issue (or maybe it's just me) i managed to break the plastic lug on the upper cowling (nose cone) that holds the speedo frame in place (and the side fairings). I think i may have over tightened them at some point (or maybe it was the previous owner) so the plastic was a bit fragile and i knocked it when replacing the mirrors and it snapped :(
Going to try gluing it back together, unless anyone else has any other ideas? buying a replacement nose cone will cost me £150 (new) so anything i can try and do before i reluctantly go that way would be preferable.

Yup they're very fragile and all 4 of mine have come away at some point. I've tried gluing with various glues but found a good squirt with the glue gun to hold the rubber grommets in place lasts the longest. Just need to repeat from time to time and be very gentle when nipping them up. You'll probably find that your grommets have flattened which makes them difficult to glue so it may be worth ordering a couple of replacements to have a decent surface area to glue against.

Online Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #3046 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
Fitted the new to me NextBase Ride camera gratefully received from Gaargy!  :828:

Wired to the accessory port 1 eventually, once found!

I only had the confidence and knowledge to do this because of the information and helpful people on this forum  :828:  :830:

Will post pictures when I can and let you know how the camera gets on!

:830:

Online KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #3047 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
Hi Yorkie. No I haven't tried them ... But !!!

Lime green Rok Straps now ordered ...  :028:

Cheers. Will give them a go ..

ROK Straps arrived this morning.    :028:
Regards David.

Online Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #3048 on: February 15, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
ROK Straps arrived this morning.    :028:

:062:

Great choice!

Offline Fresh rider

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2012
  • City / Town: Oslo
« Reply #3049 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
I just bought this bike (2012). We have tons of snow here in Norway so i'm just sitting in the garage and washing it. Can't wait uintill the spring comes so I can ride this monster! :D

expletive