Active Topics

Author Tyres…oh the dilemma  (Read 505 times)

• Offline Tedtime

• SX Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Tedtime

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021Ninga 1000sx
    • City / Town: Nottingham
    Tyres…oh the dilemma
    on: 03 Jul 22, 05:04:03
    03 Jul 22, 05:04:03
    Need a little advise on my next set of rubber. 2021 so standard was S22, 2k on them and we have squaring happening which is expected. However I’ve never been overly impressed with the handling on those tyres but on my previous bike an MT10sp they were the dogs doo daass. I’ve always felt the front is a little heavy to turn in and disjointed and lacks positioning and tip in into corner, you almost have to tell it the turn rather than think it. This could just be me but feel I’m missing a little confidence in the front end since I’ve had the bike. I’ve demoed a few bikes recently fitted with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 and metzeller racetec RR k3 compound, granted they were on an aprillia tuono and speed triple rs1200 but they felt great, tippy into corner, confidence with the line if needed to tip a little more mid corner etc etc, more pitchy design so top of egg and not bottom in roundness. mileage I’m sure will be not as good as the S22 but will it give me the handling I desire or will it make no difference as that how the bike is. I don’t tour long distances, never pillion and don’t ride like a bat out of hell but I like a bike I can place where I want and alter line/lean if the corner tightens as at present the front feels disjointed, vague yet heavy… hope all that makes . So has anyone fitted anything similar and felt a difference in handling ?
    Kawasaki virgin

• Offline JUPS

• SX Member  ‐    45

Offline JUPS

• SX Member
    Re: Tyres…oh the dilemma
    Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 22, 07:04:51
    04 Jul 22, 07:04:51
     Have you tried adding some rear pre-load? That will quicken the steering.

• Offline Tedtime

• SX Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Tedtime

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 22, 07:39:24
    04 Jul 22, 07:39:24
    I will give it a try… thanks
    Kawasaki virgin

• Offline Stew?

• SX Junior  ‐    3

Offline Stew?

• SX Junior
    • Bike: Z1000sx
    • City / Town: Sunderland
    Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 22, 01:13:26
    05 Jul 22, 01:13:26
    I'm on to my second sx and have previously used  pr4 tyres I tryed the 5's which were good but didn't last no where near as much as I was expecting. So changed to Avon storm 3D on my last and current sx. They are in my opinion much better than the michelin's. Grip and Wear is excellent and cheaper. 👍😁

• Offline Tedtime

• SX Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Tedtime

• SX Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 22, 02:26:03
    05 Jul 22, 02:26:03
    *Originally Posted by Stew? [+]
    I'm on to my second sx and have previously used  pr4 tyres I tryed the 5's which were good but didn't last no where near as much as I was expecting. So changed to Avon storm 3D on my last and current sx. They are in my opinion much better than the michelin's. Grip and Wear is excellent and cheaper. 👍😁

how is the handling on the PR4 and Avons? do you feel it tips in nicely and holds a line? oddly I do feel my SX is disjointed somehow, low speed it feels it wants to fold in on me, and its all front
    Kawasaki virgin

• Offline Stew?

• SX Junior  ‐    3

Offline Stew?

• SX Junior
    • Bike: Z1000sx
    • City / Town: Sunderland
    Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 22, 03:28:32
    05 Jul 22, 03:28:32
    When I got my current sx it still had the original tyres, I changed them straight away. Had no confidence in them whatsoever. The pr4's where good and lasted, 5's where better handling but didn't last that long before they squared off. The Avons you get the best of both, I can chuck it around like a sport bike with no chicken strips left, tips in great (as did the 5's) but for some reason I much prefer the Avons.

expletive