Active Topics

Author Topic: Aftermarket levers on a 2017 Z1000SX  (Read 890 times)

Offline Fliz

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
Re: Aftermarket levers on a 2017 Z1000SX
Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 22, 07:40:41
We certainly do yes.  :028:

I think when they are assembled at manufacture they just push the brass nipple in and don’t align the hole correctly ready to accept the plunger on the master cylinder, trying to catch us out  :745:

Again let us know how you get on   :028:

Offline isleofwightpaul

• SX Junior
Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 22, 10:38:27
Hi again Fliz  :028:  You are a star, mate. I took the brake lever back off this morning and looked at the brass pin and - no hole. I got a very small craft screwdriver to try to rotate the brass pin and turned it 180 degrees and hey presto, a hole! Carefully offered the hole up to the plunger on the bike and the lever went on like a dream  :celebrate:  My only worry now is that by releasing a bit of brake fluid from the calipers to free off the wheel, might I have let some air into them. I will go for a careful, slow ride in the next few days to see if all is good.

Anyway,  :828: you have been a massive help and I much appreciate it. Glad I found this forum too!

Offline Fliz

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 22, 12:09:12
Great news that you are now sorted.  :028:

If you only cracked the bleed nipple to let out a small amount of fluid and then tightened it back up, it’s doubtful you have let any air in. If there is any air in , the brake lever will feel spongy. Check your fluid level in the reservoir is ok.
One trick you can do is cable tie the lever back to the bar and leave overnight.

Enjoy your new bike and levers.  :002:

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.  :028: