Active Topics

Author Topic: The cleaning thread  (Read 452 times)

Offline kwacky

• SX God
  • Bike: Africa Twin AS.
  • City / Town: Birmingham
The cleaning thread
on: 10 Oct 21, 04:34:57
I couldn't see a similar thread. I thought it might be useful so people can exchange hints and tips

I've got a 2021 bike so it's pretty clean. When I got it I gave it a snow foam pre wash, a full wash with Chemical Guys shampoo, towel dried it then polished it with Auto Glym. The bike then gets a once over with C2 Tecniq liquid crystal to protect it

ACF50 is applied to the usual places

I know it sounds like a lot of fuss but I've found looking after the bike from the start really pays off

I used the bike this week and all it needed was a quick dry polish and some ceramic shield to look like this:

Offline kwacky

• SX God
Re: The cleaning thread
Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 21, 04:39:28
This is what my Versys looked like after 32,000 miles and being ridden through 3 winters

Offline ian

• SX Pro
Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 21, 04:56:33
vulcanet once a week i find it therapeutic, occasionally fairy liquid spray on the crappy bits with an agitation/wash off

i've used everything else, i've followed the instructions to the letter, i've used the two bucket method, the pre-wash method etc etc etc i've used products costing £5, i've used products costing £15/litre and they never give the results they are supposed to despite the claims of the product and jurno/bike mag reviwers

vulcanet is the only one that comes close

Offline kwacky

• SX God
Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 21, 05:17:29
Vulcanet is pretty good. I have some wipes I take with me when I'm touring. They're not cheap though

I wouldn't use a washing detergent. They're pretty aggressive at cleaning.

This dry wash might suit you. You don't have to use much and it waxes so there's some paint protection.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0234/3867/products/MTO10004-2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571267307

Offline Bernieeccles

• SX Member
  • Bike: Ninja 1000SX
Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 21, 06:05:34
Have a watch of this comprehensive video and see the comments (and the myths) about washing up liquid being used to clean your bike.

Offline kwacky

• SX God
Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 21, 06:19:33
Yeah I've seen that before. I posted it up on another forum earlier in the year.

http://www.tankslap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8038

I still won't use washing up liquid. It strips all of the protection off. The stuff I'm using protects the paint. What I use is based on personal experience. I ride all year round and I know what damage winter riding does to a bike.

The intention of this thread is to pass on hints and tips and personal experiences.  Cleaning products are like tyres imo, we've all got our preferences.

Online keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 21, 06:44:35
i personally  i  have never washed  my bikes , if it is extremely dirty if i have been caught out in bad weather i mi8ght use a damp sponge ,i always use waterless wax ,keeps my  bikes mint , my sump and exhaust and cat are polished using autolym  just my opinion and it works well for me with zero rusting.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 21, 07:01:46
I use essentially the same approach to clean my bike as I do my cars.  All are polished using a Bilt-hamber polish.  Washing the bikes first to degrease I use Procycle Gel Cleaner, then Ultimate Finish Ultimate snow foam, followed by a wash with Autoglym Car shampoo and conditioner.  Depending on the time of the year I will cover various parts and fasteners afterwards with ACF50.  This has worked for me for a number of years now and I commuted daily all year round on my first SX and it kept its finish well.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 9
 years on SXs.