Active Topics

Author Topic: New tyre required?  (Read 852 times)

Offline 2_wheel_travels

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Ninja 1000sx
New tyre required?
on: 21 Sep 21, 07:24:00
Looks like someone has had a go at slashing my rear tyre. What's the general consensus? New tyre required or fill with glue/silicone and ride on?

Offline Duffelcoat

• SX Pro
  • Bike: SX
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
Re: New tyre required?
Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 21, 08:40:00
Personally, and provided you are okay for dosh, I would replace it.

Tyres are one item you need 100% confidence in and I would rather do that for peace of mind...

Offline Scotty

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 21, 08:55:51
Where is the cut? If it’s in the middle of the tyre I would open it up to see how deep it is,if there is still rubber showing,I would put puncture safe in,and run it out,looks like there’s plenty of meat left on it,with regards to the puncture safe,I have used it on all my previous bikes,zzr600 all the way to my zx12r,now in my tyres on my sx,never a problem,( Been all over Europe,Scotland.)Just my opinion.If on the side I would change it.

Offline MattR

• Administrator
  • SX Master
Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 21, 10:26:56
How long is that cut on the right ? I suspect it's smaller than it appears in that pic  :002:

Offline 2_wheel_travels

• SX Junior
Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 21, 10:36:52
Cut is in the middle of the tyre. Tyre isn't losing pressure and there's still rubber showing.

*Originally Posted by Scotty [+]
Where is the cut? If it’s in the middle of the tyre I would open it up to see how deep it is,if there is still rubber showing,I would put puncture safe in,and run it out,looks like there’s plenty of meat left on it,with regards to the puncture safe,I have used it on all my previous bikes,zzr600 all the way to my zx12r,now in my tyres on my sx,never a problem,( Been all over Europe,Scotland.)Just my opinion.If on the side I would change it.

Offline 2_wheel_travels

• SX Junior
Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 21, 10:37:32
It's almost an inch long.

*Originally Posted by MattR [+]
How long is that cut on the right ? I suspect it's smaller than it appears in that pic  :002:

Offline Bernieeccles

• SX Member
  • Bike: Ninja 1000SX
Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 21, 11:16:19
Don't worry about it. Have you seen the sipes on a Michelin PR4 tyre, there's load of channels like this little cut.