Author Topic: Helmet and wind noise  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Tedtime

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2021Ninga 1000sx
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Helmet and wind noise
Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 21, 09:02:08
*Originally Posted by tonyt4 [+]
My helmet was getting old so changed from HJC RPHA 11 (sports helmet) to their touring version of the same shell, RPHA70, and it is noisier!
Yes I tried the Rpha 70 and 90s …after trying I decided HJC wasn’t for me, the best helmets quality build I found was Schuberth, really wanted them to fit but I’ve the wrong head shape for them unfortunately
Kawasaki virgin

Offline ZPETE

• SX Pro
Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 21, 01:19:30
I cant believe that you find the HJC RPHA 70 noisy???
I have had one for 6 months and love it, it is the quietest helmet I have ever worn and so much better than the Arai Chaser that it replaced.
I am thinking that your screen is deflecting disturbed air flow direct onto your helmet in which case no helmet in the world will be quiet.
Is your screen in the low position? It is the only position that works for me, leaving your helmet in clean air, I am 5ft 10.
Have you tried standing up on the pegs to get your head higher? You may be surprised how much smoother and quieter it is....or try riding a naked bike.
Obviously we all have different shaped heads and have our own preferences for fit and comfort of helmet but the shell of the RPHA 70 is reputed to be one of the quietest on the market and I tend to agree, even with all vents open.
Good luck with your quest for quiet riding :001:

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 21, 01:52:22
Who was it that once said there is no such thing as a quiet helmet , some are just noisier than others .
Just taken the screen off mine to give it a good clean and might even try the bike out before I put it
back on again .

Offline aljaxon

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: hull
Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 21, 02:24:01
*Originally Posted by cyanide sid [+]
Who was it that once said there is no such thing as a quiet helmet , some are just noisier than others .
Just taken the screen off mine to give it a good clean and might even try the bike out before I put it
back on again .

id be interested in your findings sid, let us know how it goes please
Z1000SX 2018   ZX9R 1998    RD350A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS  MOBYLETTE 50V 1974 
PALOMA D.A.S.L 1960

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 21, 02:57:35
Will Do, and I might even cannibalise an old screen cut down to a fly screen size .
        Can't help fiddling

Offline Ornumniloc56

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Maybole,Ayrshire
Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 21, 03:58:32
*Originally Posted by Ornumniloc56 [+]
My 2012 Z1000SX has an aftermarket Powerbronze screen fitted, I tried all of the settings to no avail. Bought a cheap spoiler type top mounted deflector for £15, multi adjustable and it has made a big difference to the wind noise. I am 5’6”.
😎🍺👍

Offline gavuk

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 21, 04:23:57
*Originally Posted by cyanide sid [+]
Will Do, and I might even cannibalise an old screen cut down to a fly screen size .
        Can't help fiddling

Don't want to jump your thread but that's what I'm gonna try. There is lots on this forum about bigger screens but not about smaller.

Gav

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 21, 06:00:29
Might come up with an answer between us then with a bit of luck

Offline Tedtime

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2021Ninga 1000sx
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 21, 08:37:57
*Originally Posted by ZPETE [+]
I cant believe that you find the HJC RPHA 70 noisy???
I have had one for 6 months and love it, it is the quietest helmet I have ever worn and so much better than the Arai Chaser that it replaced.
I am thinking that your screen is deflecting disturbed air flow direct onto your helmet in which case no helmet in the world will be quiet.
Is your screen in the low position? It is the only position that works for me, leaving your helmet in clean air, I am 5ft 10.
Have you tried standing up on the pegs to get your head higher? You may be surprised how much smoother and quieter it is....or try riding a naked bike.
Obviously we all have different shaped heads and have our own preferences for fit and comfort of helmet but the shell of the RPHA 70 is reputed to be one of the quietest on the market and I tend to agree, even with all vents open.
Good luck with your quest for quiet riding :001:
I didn’t find the hjc rpha 70 noisy as such but vent when wearing glasses were utterly useless and the 90s just felt like cheap rubbish. The most aero helmet I’ve tried was the Schuberth C4pro , stood up on pegs to test in clean air and really nice just not designed to fit my head shape. Best of all the helmets I’ve tried in terms of build quality as well. The shoei gt air 2 is what I’ve settled on, much better venting than the rpha, visor mechanism is a bit crap compared to the rpha and c40pro but it’s the best fit, best vents and the vents don’t make an obvious noise when opened, unlike the neotec 2…. That thing has vents like a wind tunnel and sounds like one too, on the bike we own that is with its problem buffeting zone.
Last Edit: 18 Jul 21, 08:41:07 by Tedtime
Kawasaki virgin

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 21, 05:25:04
Gavuk I,ve sent you  PM

expletive