Active Topics

Author Topic: Plastic cleaning help  (Read 630 times)

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Cleethorpes
Plastic cleaning help
on: 23 Jun 21, 09:03:06
So I gave the bike a good clean, tcut and polish last night but I accidently managed to get some T-cut on the plastic frame panel below the tank  :430: and I can't get it off? I've tried cleaning it with water, soap, alcohol, I've tried buffing it with various rags but can't for the life of me get it to shift.

Does anyone have any advise or ideas on how to clean it?

You might like Harleys, Yamaha's, KTMs or Honda's but at the end of the day.... its Night

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SXtour
  • City / Town: Devon
Re: Plastic cleaning help
Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 21, 09:40:18
You have to be carful with TCut. I did the same with some on another bike a while ago.
Stupidly, with the bike on the centre stand, i put the pot of Tcut on the tank while i was finishing off the fender.... Well you can guess what happened.. :087:
I had to take all the fairings off, not only had it spilled all over the black plastic but got into the nooks and crannies everywhere. I was still finding the stuff a couple years later! :187:
But yeh, that textured plastic is the worst stuff. It solidifies in the valleys of the texture.
Try this.
Wet the area with plain water. use an old toothbrush and mucoff (or an ecological washing up liquid) to gently scrub the area in small circular motions. Keep it from drying out until you have done all of the area.
Then rinse off with a hose. You may have to do this a couple of times.
If the plastic is still looking dull or whitish when it dries, then you have two options.
Buy another bit of fairing OR commit to using a plastic dressing spray.
If you do use the spray then you will have to accept that you will have to reapply every now and again and may have to put it on some of the other same surfaces to match them in.
I use the Simoniz one, i think its called 'back to black'.
I spray it onto a clean lint-free rag and apply it that way, instead of spraying the stuff straight from the tin.
That way, i can control where the stuff is going.
Its pretty pernicious slippy stuff (i think it contains silicone) and if your not carful can get onto your seat.
Anyway, hope that is of help to you.
Last Edit: 23 Jun 21, 09:42:15 by Timmy_Biker

Offline plodgeman

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2012SX
Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 21, 11:50:09
I've had this issue too but never really managed to solve it. I think Timmy_Bikers idea with the toothbrush is probably going to be your best bet - I'm still sceptical though.

Perhaps get in touch with Tetrosyl, the manufacturer, they may have a technical department that could advise.

Trouble with any of that type of 'cleaner' it is abrasive so you also need to be careful you don't affect the overall finish of the stained area.. Solvol Autosol gave me many heartaches years ago  :008:

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2013
Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 21, 02:53:42
I use GT85 on both my bikes black plastic and it has served me well for years keeping it looking good, may be worth a try spraying it on the panel and using a tooth brush as suggested.

GT85 is pretty harmless if it gets elsewhere too so no need to panic about getting on the take etc.. worth a shot at £3 a can.
Owner of Z1000sx and Ninja 636 C1H 2005

Offline Kwackergaz

• SX Member
  • Bike: ninja 1000sx
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 21, 09:24:30
WD40 or back to black.

Offline Kwackergaz

• SX Member
  • Bike: ninja 1000sx
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 21, 09:27:31
You should not use TCUT on plastics,it is a colour restorer all its doing is eating away at the laquer,something like sdoc plastic polish is what you want.

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Pro
Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 21, 09:33:35
*Originally Posted by Kwackergaz [+]
You should not use TCUT on plastics,it is a colour restorer all its doing is eating away at the laquer,something like sdoc plastic polish is what you want.

It wasn't deliberate mate, I was doing the tank and caught it with the cloth  :430:
You might like Harleys, Yamaha's, KTMs or Honda's but at the end of the day.... its Night

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Pro
Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 21, 04:55:36
Well turns out there is a rather simple solution. I asked the question on my old Yamaha forum and some clever sod suggested using a rubber eraser (a drawing one) so gave it a go and what do ya know..... it only bludy worked  :celebrate:
It's not 100% back to new but a hell of a lot better and I would think after a good clean and polish it will be hard to tell 👍🏻

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2013
Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 21, 05:06:14
Nice work, now trust me, use some GT85 and it will look amazing..
Owner of Z1000sx and Ninja 636 C1H 2005

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SXtour
  • City / Town: Devon
Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 21, 11:14:21
Great! Thats a good tip! Thanks.
Glad you got it sorted.
Now, PUT THE GT85 ON!!!!  :008:

expletive