lew600fazer lew600fazer
3248 Posts
maccmike maccmike
2952 Posts
KD KD
2800 Posts
whyhaveone whyhaveone
2536 Posts

Author Topic: Electrical Short To the Chassis  (Read 566 times)

Offline Gumboot50

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Herts
Electrical Short To the Chassis
on: 21 May 21, 12:18:57
Hello all,
I'm having my 2016 Z1000SX serviced at the moment. I've just had a call to say that there is a short circuit from a 30 amp circuit to the chassis caused by wires rubbing resulting in the insulation breaking down. 

Has anyone else come across this before?

Thanks very much.
2016 Z1000SX / 2018 Street Triple R 765

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SXtour
  • City / Town: Devon
Re: Electrical Short To the Chassis
Reply #1 on: 21 May 21, 01:03:11
I too have the 2016 model. I haven't had any issues like that.
However, recently i had to change the satnav power supply, as i was fitting a new Zumo XT.
The previous one was fitted at the dealership, along with heated grips, with the previous owner.
I was surprised to see how untidy and badly connected both were to the switched live port.
One of the take offs had been pinched in-between the fairing, because it was not zip tied back to the frame in enough places. The port had a very thin wire output that led to much thicker wires for the heated grips. No heat shrink, just insulation tape.
I was not impressed. :827:
 Cost of a few zip ties= pence. Cost of a new loom or a fire? A little more i suspect.
So i suppose my question is this. Was it the factory wiring or were someone had added/taken away something?
Last Edit: 21 May 21, 01:06:06 by Timmy_Biker

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #2 on: 21 May 21, 09:14:34
*Originally Posted by Timmy_Biker [+]
So i suppose my question is this. Was it the factory wiring or were someone had added/taken away something?

That is definitely not factory wiring.  It will be the work of some ignorant owner or fitter.

When I bought my 2017 bike it was fitted with Oxford heated grips and I took some time to refit the wiring as it was a complete disaster. 

To answer the original question in the OP I did have a problem on my 2011 bike with the loom shorting on the plate that prevents access to the ECU.  That caused problems with the ABS.  I have had similar shorting to the frame problems in the past with my ZRX1200, and many years ago similar problems on my Suzuki Bandit.  You kind've expect it of Suzuki to be honest.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 9
 years on SXs.

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2013
Reply #3 on: 23 May 21, 06:34:25
*Originally Posted by Timmy_Biker [+]
I too have the 2016 model. I haven't had any issues like that.
However, recently i had to change the satnav power supply, as i was fitting a new Zumo XT.
The previous one was fitted at the dealership, along with heated grips, with the previous owner.
I was surprised to see how untidy and badly connected both were to the switched live port.
One of the take offs had been pinched in-between the fairing, because it was not zip tied back to the frame in enough places. The port had a very thin wire output that led to much thicker wires for the heated grips. No heat shrink, just insulation tape.
I was not impressed. :827:
 Cost of a few zip ties= pence. Cost of a new loom or a fire? A little more i suspect.

Seems to be a common thing from so called dealers wiring satnav and heated grips to a 2amp accessory port, ive re-wired mine on a 2013 bike so the heated grips go to a thunderbox accessory power module as well as a USB port, and used the 2amp accessory for satnav.. check the fuse though, bet your dealer swapped it for a 10amp too!!
Owner of Z1000sx and Ninja 636 C1H 2005

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SXtour
  • City / Town: Devon
Reply #4 on: 23 May 21, 06:56:09
*Originally Posted by davehills1977 [+]

Seems to be a common thing from so called dealers wiring satnav and heated grips to a 2amp accessory port, ive re-wired mine on a 2013 bike so the heated grips go to a thunderbox accessory power module as well as a USB port, and used the 2amp accessory for satnav.. check the fuse though, bet your dealer swapped it for a 10amp too!!
I'm gonna check that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

expletive