Active Topics

Author Topic: Exhaust change??  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Bedlington
Re: Exhaust change??
Reply #20 on: 12 May 21, 04:46:34
Out of curiosity, if a full stock exhaust were to be put back on a bike that had been remapped, would it have any impact on the running?

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SXtour
  • City / Town: Devon
Reply #21 on: 12 May 21, 05:16:09
Beetlejuice. If the 02 sensor was disabled along with other things on the tuning then yes, most definitely.
It may ruin the CAT. I expect it would run rather rich and not be very happy at all.
I have never tried doing it.
However i did run a GSXR with a very different end can from what it was tuned with, for a while. It was tuned with a very stubby thing, almost did nothing really, super loud..
I ran it with a 380mm silencer and it was kind of ok. If you gave it the berries though it would kind of stall up a bit on you and was never a smooth power curve. Also remember it being a pig to start sometimes when it was hot.
I had no idea until i got it to the tuner that it had been re-mapped. I thought there was something wrong that i couldn't work out. He re-mapped it, and it ran fine.
Note: I had my Z900RS ECU flashed by P3 tuning in Liverpool. If i ever decide to put it back to stock they don't charge to flash it back again (only postage). They keep the stock template of all the bikes they flash on their database. I think most, if not all tuners do this.
On that basis, it would be relatively easy for you to flash the ECU back to stock again.
Last Edit: 12 May 21, 05:39:45 by Timmy_Biker

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
Reply #22 on: 12 May 21, 05:26:21
Thats the feller. But remember, if its disabled by the tuner there is no need to fit a blanking plate- just for aesthetics (as it is not visible with the fairing on). Sometimes, even if the Pair valves are disabled they will 'leak' through a little air on the overrun. Thats the other reason i fitted one on my Z900RS, because i wanted to be sure.
 I don't know the SX well enough to verify this.
Again, check with your tuner, as i wouldn't want to see you do all the work fitting the blanking off plate or blocking the feed pipe just to make no difference. :087:
Last Edit: 12 May 21, 05:41:31 by Timmy_Biker

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Bedlington
Reply #23 on: 12 May 21, 07:35:16
Tuner confirmed he did put a blank in the pipe to block off the pair valves and he also kept the stock file when he tuned it
Last Edit: 12 May 21, 07:37:35 by Beetlejuice

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
Reply #24 on: 12 May 21, 09:33:44
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
Tuner confirmed he did put a blank in the pipe to block off the pair valves and he also kept the stock file when he tuned it
Good man! :028:

Offline Timmy_Biker

• SX Member
Reply #25 on: 12 May 21, 10:07:28
*Originally Posted by nimmz [+]
I will be interested how you get on with the dyno tune, as I didn't know they were there. considered getting it done before but didn't want to travel half way across the country to get it done. i'm only about 40 miles from Plymouth.
Yes theres two around Plymouth way.
Mc Pherson and Crispys motorcycles.
I am taking a stab in the dark myself, but i don't fancy riding up to Bristol or somewhere because they like to keep it a few hours or so, or even overnight if they don't quite get round to it that day.
I spoke to the guy at Mc Pherson and he said to do all the mods you are intending to, before bringing it in.

Just out of curiosity though, i might take it to him for a dyno run to see what it is achieving before the mods. :002:
They charge £400.
I understand there is a fair bit of work to do to optimise the fuelling, timing, and secondary throttle behaviour. There is the setting up on the rollers, getting to and plugging into the ECU, exhaust probe/s, real time RPM detector, and temperature sensor.
Increasing the rev limiter in all or certain gears, adjusting the cooling fan cut-in and disabling the 02 sensor,
pair valves, exhaust valves (pre 2015), gas tank recirculation servo/valve and the dreaded on/off fuel cut on deceleration (although my SX doesn't seem to suffer with this).
This guy at Mc Pherson then takes the bike out for a few miles to see if he's happy and may tweak a little again.
I will be reporting the findings here on the forum.

Last Edit: 12 May 21, 10:09:42 by Timmy_Biker