lew600fazer lew600fazer
3248 Posts
maccmike maccmike
2952 Posts
KD KD
2791 Posts
burty
2469 Posts

Author Topic: Done to death, but no straight answer.. wiring accessory usb  (Read 5015 times)

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
In the spirit of the "Done to Death" theme I'll add what I run with: https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f650cs-f650gs-f650-dakar/fuzeblock-switchable-fuse-panel

Gone up in price since I bought mine 8 years ago, but you get what you pay for, as it's been bullet proof :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
In the spirit of the "Done to Death" theme I'll add what I run with: https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f650cs-f650gs-f650-dakar/fuzeblock-switchable-fuse-panel

Gone up in price since I bought mine 8 years ago, but you get what you pay for, as it's been bullet proof :028:

I did look at those(i think you posted on another thread somewhere)

they do look good but maybe a bit overkill for what i needed, Healtech one is sorted and on the way anyway so ill feedback on the install of that and moving of the accessories.

Thanks for the info.

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
That is the 32amp one so has 4 blocks (2 x live & 2 x negative), mine only has two giving me 16amps of accessories - all you do is connect the red and black directly to the battery and it's ready.
Insert your accessory live to the green wired blocks and negative to the black wired blocks, clip the wires into the wago connectors and it's done. You only need to connect the white if you want power to the accessories before the engine is running - I haven't and would rather the engine was running before power goes to the accessories.
Have a look at AndyManCam on YouTube - search for Healtech Thunderbox and he will likely be the first video. It's so simple and easy

Beetlejuice, have you had any issue with charging your bike from an optimate or similar with the thunderbox fitted? ive been reading up on it and it suggests connecting the white lead to a switch and the other end to the negative so you can disable it?? did you do this or not bother?

Online Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Bedlington
*Originally Posted by davehills1977 [+]
Beetlejuice, have you had any issue with charging your bike from an optimate or similar with the thunderbox fitted? ive been reading up on it and it suggests connecting the white lead to a switch and the other end to the negative so you can disable it?? did you do this or not bother?
I haven't connected the white wire at all as I don't want any power being drawn from the battery unless the engine is running. Come winter time, I just connect my trickle charger direct to the battery also - as I don't need it for 7-8 months of the year, I remove the lead from the battery for the trickle charger while the bike is in use almost each week.

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
Ahh ok so i think im with you, ive had a bit of a brain storm and come up with what I think is a neat solution to the whole problem and saving me taking the seat on and off. I am going to fit one of these on the underside of the bike somewhere and wire the white lead to that and other side to black lead of the thunderbox.. that way i can set it to off when on trickle charge, and on when i want accessories. ( as you can tell i get bored a lot and think these things up)

Online Beetlejuice

• SX Member
You've lost me a bit (but that's not difficult) ....

The white wire, as I understand it, is to attach to a switched live so when you put the ignition on, but don't start the engine, the thunderbox will operate all accessories attached but obviously without the engine running, it will drain the power from the battery.

So if you attach the white wire to your battery cut off switch without a live feed, i don't think this would do anything??

Unless I'm missing something  :187:

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
from what ive read about the thunderbox it has 3 modes, yes the white wire is for turning the accessories on when the ignition is on, and its fine to operate without it as you are, but they say if you have a battery maintenance charger you connect then you have to effectively shut the thunderbox down by connecting the white wire to the ground block on the box itself..

Operation modes
The ThunderBox can operate in three different modes. Depending of the connection of the
WHITE control wire the following modes can be acquired:

› Automatic mode:
The White control wire is left disconnected/unused.
When the engine is started and runs evenly, the TB switches the power outputs ON.
When the engine is stopped, after a few seconds the TB switches the outputs OFF.

› Ignition-controlled mode:
The White control wire is connected to an ignition key switched +12V power source, e.g.
to the hot wire of the number plate light or running light.
The TB will switch the outputs ON/OFF (with a few seconds delay) following the ignition
key switch position. This mode is recommended if you intend to connect a battery charger
without disconnecting/removing the battery from the bike.

› Stay-off mode:
The White control wire is connected to the TB’s Black wire terminal block.
The TB will keep the outputs OFF. If you normally use the Automatic mode, connect the
White wire to the Black (you may do so via a switch), before connecting a battery charger.

So what I am aiming to do is the stay off mode, although having read this i am a little confused between automatic and stay off as they both mention battery chargers!!!

Online Beetlejuice

• SX Member
 :464:

Cheers for that - I must learn to read the instructions fully  :028:

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
its a very un- man thing to do, we normally wing it... but figured id rather not screw the bike fitting the thing so hatched a plan... hopefully it will work out ok, will document it and add to this thread

Offline davehills1977

• SX Member
think this is conclusive

Notes:

- If you do not intend to use the vehicle for more than 3 weeks, put the battery on a
charger to maintain its condition.
- When you charge the battery, either remove the battery from the vehicle or set the
ThunderBox to Ignition-controlled mode or Stay-off mode (refer to chapter 5).