Active Topics

Author Topic: Chipped paint  (Read 584 times)

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Cleethorpes
Chipped paint
on: 15 Apr 21, 09:06:09
I've managed to obtain a tiny chip in my tank paint  :148:

Does anyone know the best place to get either a good chip repair kit or someone in the north lincolnshire/ South Yorkshire region that could help with a repair.
I've tried finding the paint code for the 2016 green but I've had no such luck 🤔 they all look the same to me but apparently different years had different green paints?

You might like Harleys, Yamaha's, KTMs or Honda's but at the end of the day.... its Night

Offline Ned Gaunt

• SX Member
  • Bike: z 1000sx Touring
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Chipped paint
Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 21, 09:25:23
Just google race paint they have paint for all models and makes.
Ned Gaunt.

Offline ZPETE

• SX Pro
Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 21, 10:42:44
I bought some candy lime green {2014/15} touch up paint from bikecolours on ebay,  it is 3 stage process, you get base coat, colour and clear for about £15. It was very good, recommended. I recall that race paint were expensive when I used them.

Offline keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 21, 05:44:59
rs paints will give you the perfect paint , it is three coat system and expensive , i found it practically impossible to touch up the paint to make a good job on my sx h2 in green  by touching it up, paint was perfect but trying to blend it in is a nightmare the kawasaki paint finish is so good . good luck hope it turns out good for you ,

Offline keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 21, 05:55:02
it was doing my head in having this chip on my tank , like i said impossible for me to touch it up good enough , took it to a spray shop they tried to air brush it in with no joy, so in the end i made two glossy black decals , and that's the way it stopped when i traded it in.

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Cleethorpes
Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 21, 06:37:27
Thanks for the replies guys, doesn't sound to hopeful.
If it works out too much of a PITA then I'll just get the whole tank resprayed sooner or later

Will i need to put some clearcoat or anything on to protect the paint in the meantime?
You might like Harleys, Yamaha's, KTMs or Honda's but at the end of the day.... its Night

expletive