9 (10.2%)
45-54
30 (34.1%)
55-64
26 (29.5%)
65 and above
18 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Owner average age  (Read 1015 times)

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: London
Owner average age
on: 03 Apr 21, 10:57:36
Just curious!  :008:

I wanted to get an idea as to the profile of the typical Z1000SX / Ninja 1000 SX owner in a series of polls. Trying also to understand the perceptions associated with owning a Z vs some other bikes *cough* R1 *cough*

All answers will be very helpful.

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
Re: Owner average age
Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 21, 01:27:25
I've not got an R1, but I have got a 2009 Fireblade owned from new and ridden 43,000m. I've owned my 2017 z1000sx from new and ridden 20,000m. Only around 1,500m on each in last 12 months due to covid restrictions.
My conclusions:

Honda has much better instruments
Kawasaki has much greater practicality
Honda has better gearbox
Kawasaki has lighter clutch
Honda has better seat (optional gel version) but riding position is hard on wrists
Kawasaki has more comfortable riding position (but standard and gel seats are uncomfy)
Honda has much better quality of components and finish, paint etc
Kawasaki has better engine response
Honda looks a lot nicer
Kawasaki is much better for pillions
Honda has highly accurate fuel range info
Kawasaki has great paniers
Honda has depreciated 50% in 12 years
Kawasaki has depreciated 60% in 4 years

I really like them both, but neither is without flaws.

Dealer servicing is stupidly expensive on both. I finally realised that if you're keeping the bike beyond initial manufacturers warranty then it's not worth keeping up the dealer service record - it doesn't make that much difference to trade-in values.
Last Edit: 04 Apr 21, 01:40:31 by ed

Offline Dudeofrude

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Cleethorpes
Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 21, 06:34:10
For me the Z was a step in the direction of "sensible" motorcycling. I've had sport/superbikes all my life but while the power is fun the rest of the experience sucks. Crappy fuel range, uncomfortable in every way, useless for storage and generally being perceived by others as just a speeding idiot (even when your not) I even find among other bikers that when you pull up at a meet on an R1/GSXR/CBR they just look and instantly give you that look of "oh here's another idiot" a bit like the way you look at a kid that's got his first car and stuck a bore exhaust and go faster stripes on it haha
Where as soon as I switched to the fast naked I got a completely different reaction from people. Even thought my last bike was an R1 engine in a naked frame people didn't see it as a superbike. Reacted completely different to it. More drivers were happy to move out of the way on the road, less of them trying to race me, more bikers would ask about it at show (mainly because my particular one stood out) but instantly the stigma of being on a sport/superbike vanished.

The problem then for me was the fact a had what was basically a superbike without the looks. It was still uncomfortable, still crap on fuel and still wildly impractical at doing anything except going fast so I started to look for something else that still had a decent bit of power but also ticked all the other boxes.
After months of research and watching/reading reviews I couldn't seem to find anything that fitted the bill better than the z1000sx. Sure there were better tourers and there were obviously faster bikes but I couldn't find anything that seemed to gel them together as well as this does.
The looks (although subjective) are pretty spot on, the average person would think its a sport bike until the panniers are put on. It's practical, I mean those panniers, what an amazing bit of kit. One of the cleverest ways to attach them to a bike that I've ever seen. I'd always secretly wanted to put panniers on a bike but never wanted the ugly racks that usually had to be left behind so when I saw the way these worked I was over the moon.
It's still got a more than usable amount of power for any sensible rider who's interested in more than just top trump numbers. And I'm comfy, although I'm sure a better seat is needed

As with most things I'm sure the bike has its flaws but for me at least (with a few mods) it's as close to a perfect bike as I can find. Fast enough, comfy enough, practical and still looks good.
All in all a great all rounder imo  :820:
You might like Harleys, Yamaha's, KTMs or Honda's but at the end of the day.... its Night

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 21, 10:48:48
Thank you Ed, very insightful to see the intricate trade offs between 2 heavy Japanese manufacturers. The fireblade is a great bike!

Dudeofrude - thanks for your response, this is the sort of trend I was trying to establish and you've hit the nail on the head  :047:

Offline 43mhr

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2019
  • City / Town: Rushcliffe
Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 21, 05:16:24
*Originally Posted by NinjaSquared2 [+]
Just curious!  :008:

I wanted to get an idea as to the profile of the typical Z1000SX / Ninja 1000 SX owner in a series of polls. Trying also to understand the perceptions associated with owning a Z vs some other bikes *cough* R1 *cough*

All answers will be very helpful.

As someone who is a lot older than 65, I would have liked to see the over 65 group further divided. if only to show that I am not the only 'old fool' on a quick bike!

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 21, 07:49:02
*Originally Posted by 43mhr [+]

As someone who is a lot older than 65, I would have liked to see the over 65 group further divided. if only to show that I am not the only 'old fool' on a quick bike!

I would have liked to have more but the poll limited me to 5 options.. But age is just a number, you're certainly no fool if you're on an SX   :038:

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
Reply #6 on: 02 May 21, 10:14:56
Thanks for all the responses!

I like to think of the Z as a more 'refined' bike vs the typical idea of a bike when one has freshly come out of DAS or Post A2 licence. Still trying to figure out perceptions, but the data is always helpful.

Offline BrianBRD

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000SX
  • City / Town: Ashford
Reply #7 on: 09 May 21, 11:23:03
Well having owned a 2015 model and a 2020 I actually span both the last two age groups. As mentioned here by someone - it is a sensible sports bike for those who want to tour etc. A great balance of everything that isn't in the fashionable Trail type mode. And to be honest for those of us with sensible sports preferences what is there that ticks all the boxes? The SX, the BMW RS is comparable if you are happy with a twin, Honda VFR? Are they still available? Personally I have always preferred a 4 cylinder machine.

With regard to trail style bikes I did try the Verseys when I was looking to replace my first SX as I was newly remarried and had a partner who wished to tour with me so I needed a bit more of a comfy bike along with one able to give a bit more leg room, so the Verseys seemed the ideal logical next step. But on the test ride as much as I loved all the new tech that the old SX still hadn't acquired at that stage it just seemed a bit gutless compared to the SX. So away I went to the Triumph Tiger 1200. It had the SX's ummph it had legroom and capacity for luggage and ticked all the right boxes - hill hold being a blessing for two up riding. Why do Kawasaki reduce the power on the Verseys - it doesn't make sense to me.

But after 18 months of ownership of the Tiger the trail style of bike had illustrated its weakness to me - you sit a bit higher, but then your passenger sits even higher and that is a recipe for slow speed and stand still drops as the margin for bike lean and being able to hold up bike and passenger is much less than the lower SX. Twice I dropped the Tiger at standstill, once on a camber that was too great at a junction once because the side stand wasn't fully out as it had caught on the kerb and I hadn't realised. Both occasions would probably not have happened with the SX, with its lower centre of gravity I would have stood a better chance of holding the bike up. Other problems with bikes like the tiger is that Aluminum panniers allow water in in the bucket load in a heavy shower, SX panniers don't. and also they tend to have wider bars which means you can't get them through a standard garden gate (sometimes I like to wash my bikes on the patio and enjoy a beer admiring my work!)

So in conclusion, my opinion is that for fun and solo riding the SX gives more than enough pace to make the ride interesting. For two up its safer than a trail style machine with it's lower centre of gravity. The trade off is less legroom which means more frequent stops, but then my body needs that generally these days anyway. And although the latest Ninja can be fitted with both a top box and panniers at the same time if you use a Shad box, one has to remember not to load the top box with anything but the lightest of stuff if you are riding two up.

Sorry if I have gone a little off subject above but old folks minds wander....

With regard to milage covered I used to do loads more when I was a senior Observer for the IAM, all that mileage was done on a Pan, a very capable machine. Now I'm lucky if I do 5000 a year (ignoring Covid) But with retirement looming maybe that will change!
Brian

expletive