Active Topics

Author Topic: Major service report  (Read 3293 times)

Offline BikerJoe

• SX Pro
  • Bike: '14 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Stockport
Major service report
on: 06 Jan 21, 11:25:38
Having some time to get round to it, I've finally done the slightly overdue valve check at 34k miles (yeah, I'm lazy and haven't had many free weekends for quite a while). I've also changed the spark plugs and will change the oil, coolant, brake fluids and air filter and do some general tidying and checking over while I'm at it seeing as we're locked down for the foreseeable.

Well, I've done the valve clearance measuring, put the cylinder head cover back on and changed the plugs so there's just the rest of the reassembly to go at the weekend. At a gentle 8-ish hours so far, it's about as fiddly a job as on most modern bikes, taking quite a bit longer than on my old '80 Z750 where I could do the whole job easily in a couple of hours (there again, that was so easy to work on that after it jammed in gear one time, I  pulled the engine out to swap the gearbox and transfer the kick-start mechanism from an old Z650 engine in an evening and rode it to work the next day!) It'll be a quicker job next time it needs doing now that I'm familiar with it but that won't be for several years' time now I'm not doing 120 miles to the office every week.

The good news is that all the valves were in spec so I didn't have to remove the camshafts to swap any shims which saves a bit of faffing around.

For anyone still wondering if the spark plugs really need changing every 7k6 miles; I'd say definitely not. They were healthy brown but a little bit eroded at the ground electrode so I won't leave them quite so long next time and will probably do them in 25k or so - not that I've noticed any problems with starting, misfiring or power loss.

Out of interest, does anyone change coolant hoses at the specified mileages? I've never done so and have never had any problems.

Anyway, time to relax with a well-earned beer now!

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Major service report
Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 21, 09:48:26
Well done that man! I'd not even attempt something like that.

I totally agree re the spark plugs and so does my dealer.

I'd say if you are on the original hoses that they would be worth replacing, they're not that expensive and while you have everything off now is the time to do it.

Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

Offline Peterbennetive

• SX Pro
  • Bike: SX, 10R & ZXR750
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 21, 10:12:59
I have just changed the hoses on my 1991 ZXR750 There was nothing wrong the originals I just wanted some nice blue hoses.

Offline Mad madoc

• SX Junior
Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 21, 12:15:35
 :464:

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 21, 08:43:37
A good bit of spanner-ing there and a decent lump not taken out of your piggy bank as well . :062:

Offline BikerJoe

• SX Pro
Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 21, 05:26:36
Arse! The fan was very dirty and showing rust at the edges of its mounting so I took the radiator off with a view to cleaning things up and giving them a quick spray of paint as a bit of protection. it was at that point I noticed that one of the lower fan mounting brackets on the radiator was not just a bit crusty but had snapped and then the other ripped off as soon as I got a spanner onto the bolt. At least the top bracket is fine.

I can improvise for now with a couple of blocks of rubber and cable ties around the lower radiator spar to hold the fan in place (that spar isn't coolant holding so I'm not too worried about putting pressure on it). There's not enough room to fit any proper replacement brackets and the alloy feels too thin to risk trying to get new ones welded on so with an OEM radiator looking like £600 I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

There are a few used ones in various conditions on ebay but I'm tempted by one of the Chinese new replacements for under half the price of used at £60 - I seem to recall at least a couple of folk have used them without problems. Anyone have any updates on their longevity?

I'm a bit annoyed at the poor quality of the radiator / fan after not that many years of all-weather use, which surely isn't asking too much of a sports-tourer? By contrast the fan and radiator I recently refitted while rebuilding my '86 Z1300 are in much better condition despite being nearly 30 years older and having covered at least 20k more miles. Of course, a decent mudguard would help but modern bikes don't have those, do they?

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 21, 10:12:45
That's not good is it re the fans mounting. After reading that I could be temped to get a front fender extender.  :006:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

Offline BikerJoe

• SX Pro
Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 21, 11:18:07
*Originally Posted by whyhaveone [+]
That's not good is it re the fans mounting. After reading that I could be temped to get a front fender extender.  :006:
A fender extender was one of the first things I did when I got the bike from new but the mudguard is so short to start with that the extender doesn't even go lower than the axle which still leaves enough of an angle for spray to come off the tyre and over the engine and radiator.
With hindsight and the amount of all-weather commuting I did in the first few years, I should have extended the extender. Ho hum.

expletive