Active Topics

Author Topic: Is the 4d6a the correct transponder..?  (Read 930 times)

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Hi There,

I have a red key and a black key on my 2013 bike and just wondered about cutting a 2nd key. So if I buy a cheap blank and transponder. I think you can programme with the red key..?

Does anybody know..?

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Is the 4d6a the correct transponder..?
Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 20, 04:18:23
On my previous 2013SX both keys were the same and black.  :187:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 20, 07:11:59
No problem. For some reason I set myself odd challenges and this was one. I believe you can reprogramme a key if you have the red one. I Think there is a sequence.

Therefore I was going to buy a cheap blank but need to know what transponder chip which you can also buy.

Offline NICKUK10

• SX Junior
Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 20, 10:31:25
I used to do key cutting/programming never did this model but the red one will be the master as you said to programme new black keys which might be a dealer only procedure. The easiest/cheapest way will be to get the black key cloned at local shop most bikes use basic transponders.
Nick

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 20, 07:19:20
Hi Nick,

So in your experience could Kawasaki have used one of a number of transponders. If so is the only way to find out by reading the key or is the 4d6a likely to be the one I noticed there is 4d62 4d60. That said they look more common to yamaha and suzuki.

I've bought a blank key now so just need the transponder..

Thanks

Maz

Offline NICKUK10

• SX Junior
Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 20, 10:28:06
Most manufacturers use the same chip type until they change the immobiliser system (the newer ones dont have master key system)  Easiest way to find out is go into a local key cutters they can put it in machine and read chip type off. They should still be able to clone your original and put chip in your blank as long as it's not sealed in, when you clone a key you don't use manufacturers original chip you only need that for manual/diagnostic programming.
Nick

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 20, 06:06:21
 Hi Nick,

Thanks for your advise. I think the transponder is the 4d6 series. If we assume it is it seems a lot od sellers quote the 4d6a as the one for kawasaki. Could it also be 4d69 4d60 etc. And the only way for sure is to have the key read.?

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 20, 12:50:52
Ok,

I answered my question my key uses the 'texas' 4d6? series. So that narrows down the transponder size and type. However there are variants of this so you would need to have the key read before you would know what the transponders last digit was.

The kawasaki key blank I have looks identical to the original so all I would need to do is get the key cut and buy my particular chip/ transponder and in theory use the programming mode with the red key. Spare black key sorted.......

I wonder if there are any potential issues in messing up my immobiliser if I had the wrong transponder.

Offline NICKUK10

• SX Junior
Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 20, 02:08:03
Yes you need to read the chip ID to be 100% sure. Did you make sure the blank you have has a plastic sleeve to fit a chip as not all will do. Also did you check if it's dealer only programming, if it's one where they intend you to do it yourself should really be in owners manual. As far as things going wrong its unlikely even with wrong chip would probably just not work, sometimes might have to do simple ecu reset if it doesnt take the key. I would never try it myself without knowing I had the right parts as theres always a small chance it will mess up ecu/get stuck in programming mode. Manual programming would always be my last resort it's just not as reliable as cloning/diagnostic, even with all the right parts it sometimes just doesn't work
Nick

Offline Mazzer

• SX Member
Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 20, 05:37:37
Hi Nick,

Thanks I think I will have a good read of the manual. That said getting a key cloned is probably the easiest option.

I'm sure there are YouTube vids on it. Thanks for. Your help

Maz

expletive