Active Topics

Author Topic: 2017 swing arm bobbins  (Read 472 times)

Online gavuk

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
2017 swing arm bobbins
on: 20 Sep 20, 11:08:57
Hi

Could a 2017 rider post some measurements/photos of the genuine kawa swing arm bobbins off the bike?

I want make a comparison between the £30+ kawa ones and much cheaper alternatives available.

I know there have been posts about non kawa hitting swing arms so want to see how different they are.

Thanks or save me some work and sell me your genuine kawa ones cheap and I'll measure them myself. Lol

Gav

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Battersea
Re: 2017 swing arm bobbins
Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 20, 03:38:33
I used the Oxford ones and they were OK for me.

ABBA stands are miles better however!

Online gavuk

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 20, 06:25:15
Do the Oxford ones fit and work with standard cans? If so where do you get em and ££?

I have a paddock stand and happy with the action and the process to raise it (stop sniggering at the back!) but just think having the additional security of bobbins is preferable.

Thanks for your swift reply

Gav

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 20, 10:03:46
Hey no worries

When I used the stock cans I felt it to be too narrow a safety margin, it was very shortly after that I'd changed to a 4-1 lextek full system and definitely found it to have a much larger clearance.

Some other forum users warned against leaving them on when not in use - the link below might be helpful?

https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php?topic=772.0

I paid £15 from J&S - they were the M10 x 1.25 if I'm not mistaken but if in doubt just pop down to your nearest motorcycle supplies shop and they can test it out before you leave.

I had far too many issues using the paddocks stand but it's a whole lot cheaper if you're used to them!

Offline pejacre

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2014 ABS
  • City / Town: North Wales
Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 20, 07:26:49
On my 2014 with stock cans I use M10 10mm 1.25's I got for £5 on eBay and I just fit them when using the paddock stand then remove them - it's a two minute job and safer than risking damage.

Offline Harrycaine

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Sussex
Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 20, 09:33:18
I fitted cheapy aftermarket bobbins which fit and cleared the swing arm, but I just couldn't lift the bike with a paddock stand. Gave up and now use an ABBA way more secure and after a few practice runs only slightly slower to get it up. After all it's not always about how fast you can get it to rise right, the right technique and equipment can give as much satisfaction and a job well done ?

HC

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 20, 09:50:51
*Originally Posted by Harrycaine [+]
I fitted cheapy aftermarket bobbins which fit and cleared the swing arm, but I just couldn't lift the bike with a paddock stand. Gave up and now use an ABBA way more secure and after a few practice runs only slightly slower to get it up. After all it's not always about how fast you can get it to rise right, the right technique and equipment can give as much satisfaction and a job well done ?

HC

Must. Resist. Laughing.

:745:

I felt ABBA stands are a must for this bike. With a heavy duty paddock stand I still thought it was gonna break!

There's always 2 heart stop moments using a paddock stand tho...  :005: