lew600fazer lew600fazer
3248 Posts
maccmike maccmike
2952 Posts
KD KD
2777 Posts
burty
2381 Posts

Author Topic: Help wiring a USB socket near dash  (Read 402 times)

Offline chich

• SX Junior
Help wiring a USB socket near dash
on: 09 Sep 20, 03:54:58
Hi gents. I'm planning on installing a USB socket near the dash on my 2014 bike. Am having trouble finding the aux power cable that's meant to be hiding behind the dash panel. The only possibility I can see is that they're hiding in this square box in the middle of the pic below. Before I go hacking I to it, can anybody advise if that's right?

Cheers!

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Re: Help wiring a USB socket near dash
Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 20, 06:56:03
No.  It's not right.

You will find the auxiliary power connectors alongside the loom on the inside of the left hand faring panel just in front of the radiator.  They may be under the loom if not visible. But they should be easy to spot if you remove the left hand faring panel.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline DDHughes

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2014 in Green
  • City / Town: South Yorkshire
Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 20, 07:34:38

Yes Burty is spot on.

Dash panel off first, (4x allens),  crawl behind front wheel to split the 2 fairings apart, (2x plastic lugs), push off the 5 centred plugs that hold the front of the left-hand panel to the black plastic, undo the 3 allen keys that hold the panel on. Now carefully pull panel away from the 2 rubber bungs below edge of tank and remove panel by gently sliding backwards. The indicator will need unplugging at this point.

The loom contains the spur useful for USB sockets, Satnavs, heated grips, etc. As Burty sez, it's where the top of the radiator is. It is switched with the ignition, too.  Have fun.  (Or better still view BikeVision Scotland's Youtube video)

Offline chich

• SX Junior
Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 20, 08:08:10
Thanks fellas, appreciate the tips. I was trying to get away without removing the fairing but guess I'll have to pop my removal cherry now!  :008:

Offline chich

• SX Junior
Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 20, 06:32:00
That was a pretty easy project, took an hour end to end, including tidying up a bunch of cabling under the fairing too.

That video from BikeVision Scotland is superb in helping understand how the fairing is held together on the 2014 model.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 20, 06:33:39 by chich

expletive