Active Topics

Author Topic: Brake disc gasket !!  (Read 545 times)

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Master
Brake disc gasket !!
on: 07 Sep 20, 01:33:48
I'm just about to replace the front brake discs and noticed in the manual it says to replace the disc gaskets.....
So I've ordered 2 @ £20 a pair.....
I hope they aren't just plain paper at that price..🤪🤞

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Brake disc gasket !!
Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 20, 05:28:37
They're just a ring of thin plastic. I don't think I'd ever replace unless it was missing or damaged as they don't appear to distort or compress when fitted. I had to buy some when I bought some spare wheels without discs and they are ridiculously expensive for what they are.  I think their purpose is to stop corrosion between the aluminium and steel surfaces  :027:

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Master
Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 20, 03:56:18
Thanks Foxy, I wondered what they were made of. I've got gasket paper to make my own paper gaskets if needed but I didn't want to strip the old ones off to find I couldn't fit new discs without them and at £250 a pair and £30 for new bolts what's another £20.😢😪😵. Plus I think the zed is a bit prone to brake judder as it had new ones under warranty  at 12k. The run out spec I was told is very small at 0.03mm.
I've just got to stop the dog from ripping them to pieces now when they drop through the letter box.🐕🐕
Last Edit: 08 Sep 20, 04:04:16 by Dartagnan

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Master
Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 20, 07:32:29
New discs on and judder is cured, if a next time I'd put the old plastic gasket back on. BUT the bolts torque is quite low so don't overtighten them and damage the gaskets,why make them from plastic? There must be a valid reason.