Active Topics

Author Topic: Heated grips  (Read 2411 times)

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Heated grips
Reply #30 on: 07 Sep 20, 12:13:58
*Originally Posted by Essex Blue [+]
What so bad about the RnG heated grips? I though they were meant to be half decent?

Er, read Harrycaines post!  :001:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

Offline keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
Reply #31 on: 07 Sep 20, 01:01:14
*Originally Posted by Harrycaine [+]
Don't buy the RnG grips.

Plenty hot enough, good quality BUT they always come on at setting 1, when starting up. Setting them off is no big deal when starting the bike up but if tick over is low they switch off to protect the battery even if on zero setting...good idea but , then come back on at setting 1 again. This  is dammed annoying in 35 degree heat.

HC
  i cant see the problem just to push a button , you have to push a button every time you start your bike , its not hard work , wish i had the r&g's on my bike . did 240 miles yesterday with the stock grips on full , they occasionally did WARM UP, but most of the time you would no know you had them on the bike they are crap ( just my opinion )my mate was out with his deauville 44000 miles on it  and his r&g's were hot !!!

Offline Axil

• SX Member
  • Bike: '14 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Ipswich
Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 20, 05:37:18
I had the "oem" ones installed when I bought my 2014 here in the US. They actually have a Honda label on the back of the controller and didn't work for sh*t. Replaced them with the Oxford Touring grips which work great.

BTW Oxford has a newer and older (non-interchangeable) version of the wiring connectors. Try to get the newer version if you can (maybe they all are by now); it is much better than the older one.

Offline Harrycaine

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Sussex
Reply #33 on: 22 Sep 20, 09:50:54
*Originally Posted by keithzx [+]
  i cant see the problem just to push a button , you have to push a button every time you start your bike , its not hard work , wish i had the r&g's on my bike . did 240 miles yesterday with the stock grips on full , they occasionally did WARM UP, but most of the time you would no know you had them on the bike they are crap ( just my opinion )my mate was out with his deauville 44000 miles on it  and his r&g's were hot !!!

While riding the bike if the tickover is low for a while eg queuing in traffic, they automatically switch fully off (even of already off ie on setting zero , if you know what I mean) , this is because the tickover is low voltage and drops a little and they turn off to protect the battery. But when you ride off again they switch back to setting 1...ie on . So its 35 degrees they are off you have to wait in a queue/traffic lights set off  and now you have heated hands..not great!

Offline Caw1956

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Guernsey
Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 20, 10:23:20
Agree with most of the comments here. Now have a 2020 Ninja1000SX with the touring pack. Found the heated grips rubbish, just a hint of warmth at (I think🥴) hottest setting. Fitted an Oxford set to my previous Z1000SX and they were really hot!

Offline tissei

• SX Member
Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 20, 11:46:53
has any figured out the blinking led patterns/speeds, what do they mean?
I mean... during riding sometimes I forget in which level I'm in for adjustement...
first click should be 100% heat or I need to click multiple times?
Is there a manual of the thing (pity that the power in not shown in the TFT... cmon kawi... ok next time :) )

Offline Essex Blue

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Ninja
Reply #36 on: 20 Oct 20, 10:38:39
Wouldn’t bother with the heated grips

I use the racer heated gloves tho not cheap at £200