Active Topics

Author Topic: 4th gear trouble  (Read 770 times)

Offline Runich

• SX Member
4th gear trouble
on: 29 Aug 20, 12:56:03
The 4th gear on my 2015 model with 25000 miles has developed what seems to be a well documented fault; when changing into 4th and applying some throttle the bike loses drive intermittently as the gear repeatedly engages then disengages.  It only happens in 4th and the bike is rideable by missing out 4th gear altogether.  I can see from searching this forum and the Internet generally that others have come across this and that the fix is expensive, but does anyone have any useful advice they can pass on?  I'd be interested to know how much it has cost others to repair and whether it was successful and worth the effort.

Thanks

Offline b1k3rdude

• SX Member
Re: 4th gear trouble
Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 20, 11:39:32
From the info I have found online it seems the only fix is to replace all the worm parts in the gearbox (selector fork, selector drum and both meshing gears. This chap did a complete gearbox swap on a Z1000 (same engine), you could drop him a msg and ask him which bits exactly were worn on the old gearbox -

https://www.youtube.com/user/trebor4460/videos

Offline b1k3rdude

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 20, 12:05:52
The following thread, has some photos clearly showing the wear - https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php?topic=11300.0

Offline Runich

• SX Member
Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 20, 11:12:03
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I also found that thread and the Youtube videos.  In the end I removed the engine from the bike, turned it upside down, removed the sump and inspected for damage.  Basically I couldn't see much wrong.   The gearbox is now being fixed at a dealers, I thought on balance it was worth it.  I'll report back when it's hopefully fixed and I've fitted the engine back in the bike.