Active Topics

Author Topic: Top Box Options...Advice / Pics needed.  (Read 540 times)

Offline thehammer

• SX Member
  • Bike: MY19 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Chester
Top Box Options...Advice / Pics needed.
on: 03 Aug 20, 10:04:04
Hey fellow riders...looking for some advice.

Taken the plunge/gamble/risk and planned a touring trip to Switzerland for end of August to hook up with some mates who are there for a month.  I am going to be riding with my other half as pillion, and have some big days planned in the saddle.

I have never liked top boxes, but think it maybe a sensible to have one to a) add storage and b) something for the pillion to be able to lean against on long stints.  I want one that doesn't stand too high on the bike or too far back.  The Shad ones that some have posted (and appreciate maybe camera angle) I think look odd, so are there other options? 

The top box will need to work with panniers (Kawasaki fit ones) and also be easy to remove once I get back (so don't want to be chopping anything off the bike as likely I'll take off afterwards).

Open to advice and also if you can post pictures of your current setup it would be very welcome.  Also any links to where I can purchase those options.

Many thanks

Hammo

Offline Peterbennetive

• SX Pro
  • Bike: SX, 10R & ZXR750
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
Re: Top Box Options...Advice / Pics needed.
Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 20, 01:42:44
Top boxes are always going to look big but are very handy to use. You are very limited to what you can use along with the original side boxes. I went the Ventura route and have currently had no problems. I have also loaded a video on YouTube on how to install it. If that helps.

Offline thehammer

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 20, 03:53:02
*Originally Posted by Peterbennetive [+]
Top boxes are always going to look big but are very handy to use. You are very limited to what you can use along with the original side boxes. I went the Ventura route and have currently had no problems. I have also loaded a video on YouTube on how to install it. If that helps.

Thanks mate - appreciate the advice.  I've ended buying the Shad box and kit, and going to fit it ands see how it fairs on a trial run next week.  If I don't get on with it, no doubt someone on here will get a bargain ;-)

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 20, 08:14:27
Think you will be happy with the Shad did 3000 mile European trip with mine and oem panniers last summer with no negative issues

Offline thehammer

• SX Member
Reply #4 on: 04 Aug 20, 03:54:22
*Originally Posted by Teaboy [+]
Think you will be happy with the Shad did 3000 mile European trip with mine and oem panniers last summer with no negative issues

Did you have pillion as well?  Any issues at speeds?

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 20, 07:20:42
No pillion for the tour but had no problems when occasionally carrying pillion
Absolutely no stability problems even well into 3 figure speeds on the autobahn

expletive