Active Topics


Author Topic: Riding styles and improvements  (Read 5762 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HoT-MetaL

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 47
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Kent
  • Country: England
Riding styles and improvements
on: 29 Jul 20, 08:38:05
I’ve ridden high powered bikes for 5+ years now, so not forever but by no means a noob. It’s only since getting a z1000sx I’ve been pushing my riding. A couple of things I’ve noticed -

You have to be careful accelerating quickly coming out of corners as the front likes to lift.

I ride too far out into the middle when leaning quickly into an offside bend. I should be closer to the kerb. Any ideas how to combat this? I guess going into the bend at a different angle.

Just some thoughts....!

#1

Offline mdr1970

  • SX God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4899
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
  • Country: England
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 20, 08:47:55
Not wanting to sound 'preachy' but have you considered taking any advanced rider training? All aspects of riding are covered, explaining the benefits of lifting your vision, road positioning, gear selection, acceleration etc.

IPSGA, which stands for Information, Position, Speed, Gear and Acceleration.

You say you have been riding high powered bikes for a while now, but how much torque have they had. The grunt when you apply throttle is what will be lifting your front end.

Although the SX has about 60 less HP, it has close to the same torque as the ZX1000r (111 vs. 114) but applies it much earlier in the curve  :007:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

#2

Offline HoT-MetaL

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 47
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Kent
  • Country: England
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 20, 04:10:39
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Not wanting to sound 'preachy' but have you considered taking any advanced rider training? All aspects of riding are covered, explaining the benefits of lifting your vision, road positioning, gear selection, acceleration etc.

IPSGA, which stands for Information, Position, Speed, Gear and Acceleration.

You say you have been riding high powered bikes for a while now, but how much torque have they had. The grunt when you apply throttle is what will be lifting your front end.

Although the SX has about 60 less HP, it has close to the same torque as the ZX1000r (111 vs. 114) but applies it much earlier in the curve  :007:

No preachiness taken. I’ll probably give it a go in a few years when I’ve got more time on my hands. I’m IAM for driving so try to take the same principles through for motorcycling but it’s a different ball game.

The torque makes complete sense!

#3

Offline ian

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Country: great britain
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 20, 08:06:11
bike safe (if it can start again) cheap and if you already have IAM car then they'll set you straight and it won't be strange language

otherwise a private provider like total advanced or rapid training for half day - or sign up for rapid training newsletter

i went on a bends master class for £50 earlier this year they just announce via direct email

#4

Offline Tyke

  • SX Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Bike: 2017 SX
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 20, 09:21:12
Get a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft , £12 on Amazon , has loads of riding tips and advice to help improve all aspects of your ride. :028:
its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop!

#5

Offline whyhaveone

  • SX God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2333
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
  • Country: England
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 20, 12:10:10
*Originally Posted by HoT-MetaL [+]
I’ve ridden high powered bikes for 5+ years now, so not forever but by no means a noob. It’s only since getting a z1000sx I’ve been pushing my riding. A couple of things I’ve noticed -

You have to be careful accelerating quickly coming out of corners as the front likes to lift.

I ride too far out into the middle when leaning quickly into an offside bend. I should be closer to the kerb. Any ideas how to combat this? I guess going into the bend at a different angle.

Just some thoughts....!

It will lift in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the throttle, just be careful with your right hand.

On right handers try going slower into the bends and remain on the inner third of your lane (assuming safe to do so). Going slower to start will help you practice keeping in and this together with lifting your vision will help you see further around the bend. After a while it should become second nature and your speed can increase.

Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

#6

Offline ian

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Country: great britain
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 20, 07:27:25
*Originally Posted by Tyke [+]
Get a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft , £12 on Amazon , has loads of riding tips and advice to help improve all aspects of your ride. :028:

no you'll lose the will to live reading that crap :087:

Insights into advanced motorcycling parts 1 and 2 by andy slater about £3.00 each + p&p one is available as a kindle download

#7

Offline Darseyno1

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 493
  • Bike: Kawasaki sx 1000
  • Country: Northern Ireland
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 20, 02:12:47
Don't want to sound daft but i have found on a bike with straight handlebars that you need to bend your elbow when taking any corner instead of having your arms locked out. Try this to see if it helps you. Neeves had a video on utube describing this.
"ye must be born again"

#8

Offline HoT-MetaL

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 47
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Kent
  • Country: England
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 20, 07:14:44
*Originally Posted by Darseyno1 [+]
Don't want to sound daft but i have found on a bike with straight handlebars that you need to bend your elbow when taking any corner instead of having your arms locked out. Try this to see if it helps you. Neeves had a video on utube describing this.

 :464: I’ve been giving this a go and can definitely notice the difference. The bike turns and leans a whole lot more.

#9

Offline Def@st

  • SX Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Bike: Z1000SX - my'14
  • City / Town: Modena
  • Country: Italy
Re: Riding styles and improvements
Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 20, 05:01:40
Take a look at "A twist of the wirst" by Keith Code.

You can find some video on youtube or buy the book 1 and 2.

 



expletive