Active Topics

Author Topic: Lowering Links. which way round do they go?  (Read 613 times)

Offline Blackie

• SX Member
  • Bike: 17 Black Z1000sx
  • City / Town: NY Moors
Bought some new links from Germany. Finally arrived today after a month (CO Vid) . Had the bike in the garage chocked up, and the sandard ones out. When these arrived they are supposed to drop 1 3/8 " . I looked at the originals, compared then. and the new ones , the holes when placed on top of the originals are about 3/8" longer. ( say 3/4 of a hole) Is there a certain way they go-  I fitted them, and It hasn't changed the ride height.. I swear, I think I've bee given the wrong ones or its a con. Lower links are longer right? anybody got a set off the bike to masure the centres of the holes for me?, I even bought a spare side stand after beinf told the new one will be wrong, but, to me, it doesn't look any different.
thanks

Offline Nelix

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: Lowering Links. which way round do they go?
Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 20, 08:50:29
Have you tried fitting them the other way round?

Offline Blackie

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 20, 10:08:58
I've tried a few ways, but with the original ones off ,the suspensiom bits on the bike tend to move around so to be honest I'm not sure. I was hoping someone would give me and idea how long a lowered link should be -from the centre bolt to the bit at the top facing the back of the bike. Serves me right for using a non name brand.

Offline Nelix

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 20, 10:22:14
Drop them an email and ask for clarification.

Offline Blackie

• SX Member
Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 20, 06:58:00
Thanks. Its the only way, would have helped if some instructions had come with it

Offline gavuk

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 20, 02:32:32
*Originally Posted by Blackie [+]
I've tried a few ways, but with the original ones off ,the suspensiom bits on the bike tend to move around so to be honest I'm not sure. I was hoping someone would give me and idea how long a lowered link should be -from the centre bolt to the bit at the top facing the back of the bike. Serves me right for using a non name brand.

I'm wondering if the bike height hasn't changed with the new drop links we're the "original" ones already reduced by a previous owner. Hence you're replacing like for like.

Offline Blackie

• SX Member
Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 20, 01:44:51
You know, Gavuk, I never thought of that. Its not easy being on my own to stand the bike up, straight, to measure the seat height accurately, with it only having a side stand. I have the bike currently placed into one of those wheel chocks. It leans a bit (i haven't got used to a wheel chock, the bike doesn't seem to fit tight into it, and when I pit a yard spirit level across the handle bars, it feels as though it's going to fall over, but i've managed it and with these "lower" links fitted, the height is about 815mm. i think thats somewhere near the standard height for a 17 model. I've gone and ordered some Lust ones.
Normally i'm not keen on lowering, but i can touch the ground with (nearly) a flat foot, but it saps your confidence when you stop and there's a strong camber on the road, or a bloody pothole you dont see.

Offline Sojourner

• SX Pro
  • Bike: '14 Z1000SX
Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 20, 02:02:39
For that amount of advertised drop you will know right away if they are the correct ones because the side stand won't allow the bike to lean anywhere near what it did originally. I lowered my wife's Versys 1" with longer dog bones and had to chop the side stand before she could ride it.

Offline Blackie

• SX Member
Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 20, 11:54:55
Yes  your'e right they can only go one way which i found out by a lot of fiddling about. i ended up getting some Lust-30mm ones and fitted no problem. The side stand- the bike was a bit too vertical after. luckily before i started work on the bike i located a used spare one, which i chopped 1/4 inch out of it and welded it back up. I now wish I had maybe cut a bit more off as the bike still is a bit too near the vertical for my liking. The stand is rewelded to the foot- yes, but with my home gas less mig welder plugged into the wall, I could'nt get the welding penetration that I'd of liked. Maybe if the set was plugged into a 60amp cooker socket ? which i don't have, we only have a gas cooker.Maybe some Electrician, Z riders could coment?.

Offline gavuk

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Reply #9 on: 04 Jul 20, 11:22:02
Can't comment on welding. I barely know a spark plug from a spanner!

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue with the previous lowering plates?

Were they already lowered before your first attempt ie pre list 30mm?

Just intrigued... Took me 3 years with my previous steed (tiger 1050) to notice it was already lowered! Doh!!