Active Topics

Author Topic: Brembo pads - failure  (Read 1758 times)

Offline vanquishride

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: Ellesmere Port
Re: Brembo pads - failure
Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 20, 09:09:00
Just to confirm. You did get these pads from a reputable supplier? No chance of them being fake?

I'm on the Aston Forum. And NGK have had an issue with fake spark plugs flooding the market. Bosch have had a batch of fake fuel injectors also.

China will copy anything.

Never mind watches.

Offline NinjaSquared2

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Battersea
Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 20, 10:31:19
*Originally Posted by vanquishride [+]
Just to confirm. You did get these pads from a reputable supplier? No chance of them being fake?

I'm on the Aston Forum. And NGK have had an issue with fake spark plugs flooding the market. Bosch have had a batch of fake fuel injectors also.

China will copy anything.

Never mind watches.

This is so scary. Thanks for sharing

I will never be the same person..  :005:

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 20, 10:43:12
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
I always buy my Brembo pads from Hardwood Performance, bikehps.com.  I tend not to trust eBay for these sorts of things so go straight to a suppliers web site.

Looking at your other photo it definitely looks like they have suffered excessive heat.  I would take it up with brembo but if you binned the pads it might be difficult for them to assess them.

Always found HPS to be a bit expensive. Having said that, I bought a pair of wheels from them in 2018 and after around 6000 to 7000 miles I had total failure of one of the rear wheel bearings. Rang them up and spoke to Giles Harwood (the owner) and without hesitation the wheel was collected, sent back to the manufacturer, repaired and returned with absolutely no cost to me whatsoever.
Moral of the story you get what you pay for and with that level of customer service I will be going back to them for all parts in the future.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 20, 04:42:12
To tell you the truth Mike they were the first supplier that came up when I was searching for Brembo pads several years ago.  I've used them ever since, they have always given me good quick service and I don't think I have really ever shopped about. 

The last set of pads cost me £72.65 with delivery and vat for a set for the front of the SX.  I have just looked at an old order from 2013 and the pads were the same price then which is pleasantly surprising.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 20, 01:57:40
Their website suggests that they are an official Brembo distributor.

https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/

After the pads had failed (during the 3rd session of the day) I put in some part worn EBC HH pads that I had in my toolbox. I would say these were 50% worn, similar to the Brembo's. I did 4 more session on these and I took them off to check yesterday and I'd now rate those as 70% worn. I know they're not designed for track use but if the Brembo's are genuine then they are an awful lot softer than the EBC's.

I've decided I'm going to use some EBC racing pads GPFAX379HH for track use with the slicks and only use the latest set of SA's when I've got my road wheels on.

Offline vanquishride

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: Ellesmere Port
Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 20, 03:10:36
Foxy, How were the EBC pads compared to the Brembo. Nice back to back test...

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 20, 05:17:48
I tried the SAs and am now on my second pair of EBCs...

In my experience the Brembo setup gave excellent initial bite, but they didn't actually last that long.

I prefer the the EBC setup which I find more predictable and sustained.
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 20, 06:03:30
Pretty much what MDR said to be honest. Both sets of pads performed well from a fade perspective but the Brembo wore significantly more than the EBC HH.