Author Topic: Idling  (Read 652 times)

Offline TheGreyMan

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx, SMC660
  • City / Town: Romford
Idling
on: 29 May 20, 07:23:09
Hi all

I will try to make this as simple as I can...
So when I bought my z1000sx it had a couple of GR MOTO cans on it but unfortunately they didn’t fit with my OEM panniers so I took them off to put on the OEM exhausts on for a trip.. I have since put on some Leo Vince LV ONE cans on it and since then the bike seems as though it doesn’t seem to like idling at straight revs it dips up and down..
It’s perfectly fine during riding it’s purely at idling.
So my question is that is there any possible way of rectifying this without a £500 remap?
I’m not familiar with remaps or dynos so if anything can be dumbed down for me I’d appreciate it  :031:
Apologies for the long explanation but thank you in advance..
Always be the grey man.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Idling
Reply #1 on: 29 May 20, 07:47:45
Have you tried the vacuum idle adjuster on the right hand side  :027:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline TheGreyMan

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 29 May 20, 09:52:49
Nope I have no idea what that is.. if you could elaborate on what that is/how it works that could be a solution.. I’m not massively technically minded if I’m honest so my first solution was to post on here and hope for a better solution than paying all that money..
 :031:
Always be the grey man.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #3 on: 30 May 20, 12:03:13
*Originally Posted by TheGreyMan [+]
Nope I have no idea what that is.. if you could elaborate on what that is/how it works that could be a solution.. I’m not massively technically minded if I’m honest so my first solution was to post on here and hope for a better solution than paying all that money..
 :031:

Look in your handbook for idle adjustment. However, if the revs are varying at idle it does not sound like that is the issue. When cold the idle speed is higher, it then should settle down to around 1100RPM. Try setting the idle speed slightly higher then this.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

Offline TheGreyMan

• SX Member
Reply #4 on: 01 Jun 20, 10:50:31
Sorted!  :828:
Always be the grey man.

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Reply #5 on: 01 Jun 20, 10:10:34
Good that you've sorted it
What did you do?
Always good to know
Enjoying the V4 "ROAR"

Offline TheGreyMan

• SX Member
Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 20, 01:04:02
*Originally Posted by NoddyNinja [+]
Good that you've sorted it
What did you do?
Always good to know

I did just adjust the idle to 1100rpm as mine was at 900rpm... this is a lot better but there still is not a straight line of revs at idle it’s just not perfect 😭
Apologies for the delay didn’t see this response..  :431:
Always be the grey man.

Offline Sojourner

• SX Pro
  • Bike: '14 Z1000SX
Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 20, 05:26:09
My '14 started seeking during warmup after I re-installed the ECU that Ivan re-mapped. I spoke with him about the niggly and he asked me to check the voltage output of the throttle position sensor. I did as he suggested and found the TPS wasn't calibrated with my actual zero throttle position. Once done and the fuel/air mixture was at the correct range all was back to normal. I'm also running 1300 RPM at idle per his suggestion. With a warm engine and running at 1250 -1300 idle speed....  the voltage should be 1.50vdc. Suggest finding a capable mechanic that's not afraid to dig in deeper than most dare to tread. It's actually a very easy adjustment...with the right tools.

Offline TheGreyMan

• SX Member
Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 20, 08:20:54
*Originally Posted by Sojourner [+]
My '14 started seeking during warmup after I re-installed the ECU that Ivan re-mapped. I spoke with him about the niggly and he asked me to check the voltage output of the throttle position sensor. I did as he suggested and found the TPS wasn't calibrated with my actual zero throttle position. Once done and the fuel/air mixture was at the correct range all was back to normal. I'm also running 1300 RPM at idle per his suggestion. With a warm engine and running at 1250 -1300 idle speed....  the voltage should be 1.50vdc. Suggest finding a capable mechanic that's not afraid to dig in deeper than most dare to tread. It's actually a very easy adjustment...with the right tools.

Well that sounds pretty damn in depth and a little expensive for someone to go into the engine like that.. I think as long as it’s not going to cause the bike any damage I’ll be fine with it how it is  :164:
Always be the grey man.

expletive