Active Topics


Author Topic: RANT...why are bike dealers so f***ing difficult to deal with?  (Read 3542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kernowjim1

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
  • Country: UK
Apologies for the rant, you would think buying a new bike would be easier in these turbulent times but hell no.  They are uninterested in the business, won't reveal discounts via email, vague about stock - it's doing my head in!!

Anyway, hope everyone has a nice weekend

#1

Offline Nelix

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
Personally I call. I make it clear that I'm serious about buying and that the best deal will get my business.

I also make it plain from the outset that any agreement made over the phone is subject to a confirmation email that both parties agree is the deal.

Works for me.

#2

Offline kernowjim1

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
  • Country: UK
*Originally Posted by Nelix [+]
Personally I call. I make it clear that I'm serious about buying and that the best deal will get my business.

I also make it plain from the outset that any agreement made over the phone is subject to a confirmation email that both parties agree is the deal.

Works for me.

Yes I think you're right.  I will wait until my local dealership is open again (from Monday I think) - Cornwall Kawasaki, they've always done well in the past

#3

Offline John chamney

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Cosby Leicester
  • Country: Uk
Post if you find any good deals please , especially interested if you come across any interest free options , as I commented on the other post the only dealership I found open in Derby with a white sx seems to think there’s going to be a shortage due to the current situation and the fact that Kawasaki will not be importing any more this year !

#4

Offline boldie

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 185
  • Bike: Ninja 1000SX
  • Country: GB
*Originally Posted by John chamney [+]
Post if you find any good deals please , especially interested if you come across any interest free options , as I commented on the other post the only dealership I found open in Derby with a white sx seems to think there’s going to be a shortage due to the current situation and the fact that Kawasaki will not be importing any more this year !

At the moment with interest rates so low a personal loan seems to be a cheaper option if you intend to keep the bike. When I was looking in March 6.3% was typical from Kawasaki. Who knows, that may well change soon.

Hard to know At the moment if dealers are just nudging you into a sale by saying there will be a shortage or there genuinely will be a shortage.  Could go either way.....perhaps a few more weeks required.

#5

Offline kernowjim1

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
  • Country: UK
*Originally Posted by boldie [+]
At the moment with interest rates so low a personal loan seems to be a cheaper option if you intend to keep the bike. When I was looking in March 6.3% was typical from Kawasaki. Who knows, that may well change soon.

Hard to know At the moment if dealers are just nudging you into a sale by saying there will be a shortage or there genuinely will be a shortage.  Could go either way.....perhaps a few more weeks required.

I think you're spot on there, who knows what tactics are being deployed but I can guarantee it will be in the sole interest of getting the maximum amount out of every customer.  The market will dictate the terms in the long run and I will have to be patient.  I may not even bother getting a new bike for this year, there can't be more than 3 months riding season left before the winter and it's not like it used to be before the zombie apocalypse...nowhere to go and nothing to do!

#6

Offline Nelix

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
I have a personal loan from Marks and Spencer for my bike, taken out just over a year ago at something like 2.1% iirc. Always better finance options than dealers rates.

#7

Offline whyhaveone

  • SX God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2229
  • Bike: 2020 Ninja1000SX
  • City / Town: Hampshire
  • Country: England
*Originally Posted by Nelix [+]
I have a personal loan from Marks and Spencer for my bike, taken out just over a year ago at something like 2.1% iirc. Always better finance options than dealers rates.

Correct, and at the end of it the bike will be yours unlike PCP.

For me (specifically) PCP is only good on 0 percent deals.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2011 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer, 2020 Ninja 1000SX Performance Tourer.

#8

Offline Nelix

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
My previous bike, an 8th gen VFR was on PCP.

Salesman was nearly driven crazy as I wanted it front loaded, big deposit, and higher monthly payments as it was 3 years interest free. Left me with a very low final payment.

Used correctly, PCP is fine.

#9

Offline kernowjim1

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
  • Country: UK
*Originally Posted by Nelix [+]
My previous bike, an 8th gen VFR was on PCP.

Salesman was nearly driven crazy as I wanted it front loaded, big deposit, and higher monthly payments as it was 3 years interest free. Left me with a very low final payment.

Used correctly, PCP is fine.

Isn't that defeating the object of PCP though?  I thought the point was that you paid a very small deposit and then paid it monthly, i.e not handing over your cash at the beginning and putting it in their bank.  Sounds like hire purchase would be better if you want to offload your money at the beginning instead of the end.  Most people who use PCP have no intention of buying the bike at the end of the term - I've done several PCP agreements and never bought the bike, I just bung it in for a new one.  I've never had a bike I've ever wanted to keep!

 



expletive