Active Topics

Author Topic: Seat (again)  (Read 899 times)

Offline yorkie

• SX Pro
Seat (again)
on: 21 May 20, 06:44:24
OK, so I know this is a much discussed topic and opinions on which is best / worst are always going to be subjective because we are all different.
BUT, has anyone tried to resculptore the seat foam themselves ??

I went out for my first ride of the year yesterday and after about 100 miles things were getting noticeably uncomfortable. I think I have worked out, that the problem for me, is where the seat foam starts to widen / flatten out and has a much more distinct edge.

I know I can send it off to Tony Archer or a plethora of other seat guru's but who's to say that after paying for their services things will be any better. So my thought's are to remove the seat cover and re-shape the seat foam, very gradually, until I find what I think may be the solution. I have done this on my off-road bike very successfully and I don't really see why it wouldn't work in this situation. Worse case scenario is I cock it up all together and then have to pay someone to put it right, but nothing lost in trying.

So I'd be interested in anyone else's attempt at the same thing, success or failure.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Seat (again)
Reply #1 on: 21 May 20, 07:05:04
Others have fitted gel pads, but that's not what you're asking  :006:

I would add that you'll only know you've got it right after a few hours in the saddle. You could run out of vinyl to re staple of you make to many changes as the edges will fray!
Comparing your success with what you did to an off road bike where you don't sit down all the time might not be the best experience  :027:

Like you say though, if you do cock it up you can still send it away  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Online boldie

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Ninja 1000SX
  • City / Town: Spalding
Reply #2 on: 21 May 20, 07:08:38
I'd consider buying a cheap second hand seat off of eBay and have a go at modding that.

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Battersea
Reply #3 on: 21 May 20, 10:59:50
In a few days I will have a spare seat if you're after one!

Offline jupialto

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2016
  • City / Town: Raamsdonksveer
Reply #4 on: 22 May 20, 11:39:47
*Originally Posted by yorkie [+]
OK, so I know this is a much discussed topic and opinions on which is best / worst are always going to be subjective because we are all different.
BUT, has anyone tried to resculptore the seat foam themselves ??

I went out for my first ride of the year yesterday and after about 100 miles things were getting noticeably uncomfortable. I think I have worked out, that the problem for me, is where the seat foam starts to widen / flatten out and has a much more distinct edge.

I know I can send it off to Tony Archer or a plethora of other seat guru's but who's to say that after paying for their services things will be any better. So my thought's are to remove the seat cover and re-shape the seat foam, very gradually, until I find what I think may be the solution. I have done this on my off-road bike very successfully and I don't really see why it wouldn't work in this situation. Worse case scenario is I cock it up all together and then have to pay someone to put it right, but nothing lost in trying.

So I'd be interested in anyone else's attempt at the same thing, success or failure.

Went to a guy who make chairs, couches and other furniture and offered him the challenge of fixing my seat (2016).
He re-shaped it with the foam he normally uses for his chairs etc. Did a perfect job, by taking away the harder side-rims of the seat and re-shaping the thing; longer rides are no longer a problem now!

Probably he's much cheaper than fixing a complete different new seat.

Online vanquishride

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: Ellesmere Port
Reply #5 on: 22 May 20, 08:46:39
I'm considering this as I tried the Top Sellerie saddle shaped seat and it was more comfortable but less roomy. So I'm now looking at other options.

I was thinking exactly the same. Just round the corners off it and get it into a regular radius rather than the stupid diamond shape it is now. They knew they would make a fortune selling gel seats by designing it this way. Their gel seat is much rounder in profile.

Offline yorkie

• SX Pro
Reply #6 on: 23 May 20, 08:49:53
Well I've bitten the bullet and gone for it.
I unpicked the staples from around 70% of the seat leaving the front area attached. Slipped the cover off and re-shaped using rough glass paper. I did try with a small angle grinder to start with but thought this was too savage.
I've now got it to a stage where the definite edge has gone and just sitting on it feels a lot better. However, as has been pointed out, I won't really know until I've ridden a hundred plus miles.
I've just got to re-attach the cover and If I can work out how to upload photo's I'll show you the results.
Last Edit: 23 May 20, 08:51:27 by yorkie

Online vanquishride

• SX Member
Reply #7 on: 23 May 20, 11:18:44
I think i'm going to have a crack at it today also.

Online vanquishride

• SX Member
Reply #8 on: 23 May 20, 01:43:11
That was quick.

Used a screwdriver and vice grips to pull all the side and rear staples out. Leaving the front staples in to keep the cover in the correct position.

Used an orbital sander with 80 grit disc to chamfer the sides into a more rounded shape and to take the corner off the profile of the seat. One picture shows one side complete the other side original. The "feel" of the two sides was remarkably different.

Completed the second side. Used 6mm staples to refit the seat cover. You will need a powerful staple gun for this. Mine struggled a bit and needed a little tap in with the small "toffee" hammer. But it was easily done and went back together really well.

It's now much more rounded and organically shaped. Feels much improved. I will report back after a decent ride. Weather very windy today and I did a 50k cycle ride this morning and so my posterior is a little tender and not up to a subjective comfort.
Last Edit: 23 May 20, 01:49:46 by vanquishride

Online vanquishride

• SX Member
Reply #9 on: 23 May 20, 01:44:11
Pic 2