Active Topics

Author Topic: Lots of critters about at the moment...  (Read 240 times)

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
Lots of critters about at the moment...
on: 21 May 20, 12:47:05
Just back from my first proper evening/night time ride of 2020 on my 'blade. Only went about 150 miles, but had to slow down for a deer on the road in front of me on the B676 somewhere between Melton and Colsterworth , and another deer in the road in front of me on the road through Bitchfield that's often in MCN and Ride pictures. Then ran over a baby rabbit on the same Bitchfield road (sorry, but it was swerving all over the place and I did try to miss it) and then a troupe of really big fat rats was crossing the A6006 by a farm around Shoby area West of Melton on the way back (unfortunately I managed to steer through the ratpack without turning any into roadkill).
Shame I hit the baby rabbit, shame I hit no rats, but very glad that I missed both deer - that would have had me off the bike... This is my 3rd decade of riding motorbikes and I've only ever come across one live deer before. I think that the lack of traffic during covid lockdown must have resulted in them being less scared of being on the roads?
Moral of my story is - take extra care when riding through the countryside in the dark at the moment!
Last Edit: 21 May 20, 12:53:56 by ed

Online boldie

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Ninja 1000SX
  • City / Town: Spalding
Re: Lots of critters about at the moment...
Reply #1 on: 21 May 20, 07:10:52
I took the wife’s GSX 125 out last night down Corby Glen to get the extra miles on it for her first service tomorrow, like you had to swerve a few times, mostly for Muntjack deer and pheasants. 

Online NinjaSquared2

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Battersea
Reply #2 on: 21 May 20, 08:32:43
Thanks for the heads up, it's very much a possibility that animals are getting a false sense of security without the traffic!

Planning to take the bike out after weeks today so much appreciated memo!

Online ooooo

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX & CRF250
  • City / Town: Bolton
Reply #3 on: 21 May 20, 11:21:01
Sounds like it's time to get the shotgun out  :007: