lew600fazer lew600fazer
3248 Posts
maccmike maccmike
2942 Posts
KD KD
2767 Posts
burty
2357 Posts

Author Topic: Neutral Light Flashes & Simultaneous Clicking When Switch on Ignition  (Read 454 times)

Offline Chanter

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1SX ZX9R ZZR600
  • City / Town: Abingdon
Hi all, 2017SX....not gone anywhere for a couple of months because..well you know...same as everyone else

Went to start today battery almost flat and not enough ooomph to turn her over so I thought I will jump it from the car...which I have done a few times on my ZX9R.

So....connected it up turned on ignition and the dash lit up perfectly as it did its checks. Hit the starter and there was a scary sounding click and everything went off apart from the ABS light.

Now when I switch the ignition on, the Neutral light flashes for about 15-20 secs and there is a clicking in time with it from the area of under the pillion seat

I checked the ignition fuse and it seemed Ok but I replaced it anyway with the spare to check.  It continues to do the same thing. Got it on charge with the Optimiser now but I think something's blown now.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Offline Nelix

• SX Master
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
You did connect up the jump cables the correct way?
Check and replace main fuse.

Offline NinjaSquared2

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Battersea
Are you able to get a voltmeter across the battery and give us a reading?

Could be a completely dead battery - have had similar on an old er6f.. But I didn't jump start that one! So could be anything..

See how it goes after charging the battery fully

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
*Originally Posted by Nelix [+]

On this note did you connect battery to battery for both pos and neg, or did you connect the neg to a bare bit of metal on the bike? If you connected both leads battery to battery you could have caused damage to the battery itself.

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
I believe the later models have a system in place to stop you turning over the engine with a weak battery - to protect the starter and sprag clutch.  The loud click was probably the solenoid making a feeble attempt to use the tiny amount of voltage available before giving up.  Charge the battery or replace (the non use might have killed it) and try again - invest in a £40 battery optimiser will prevent this happening again and is cheaper than a new battery every 2 years

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
Oh and don't jump start a modern motorcycle with a car battery or booster - far too much power going in to delicate systems - get a new battery or see if your current one can take a recharge

Offline Chanter

• SX Junior
*Originally Posted by Nelix [+]

Yes correct way around since everything went through the start up checks ok all corrects lights on in dashboard. It was only hitting the starter button that caused the failure.

Also yes I replaced the Ignition Fuse immediately even though it looked fine to me....same as the description in my post .

Offline Chanter

• SX Junior
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
On this note did you connect battery to battery for both pos and neg, or did you connect the neg to a bare bit of metal on the bike? If you connected both leads battery to battery you could have caused damage to the battery itself.

Negative clamped to a sub-frame crossrail

Offline Chanter

• SX Junior
*Originally Posted by kernowjim1 [+]
I believe the later models have a system in place to stop you turning over the engine with a weak battery - to protect the starter and sprag clutch.  The loud click was probably the solenoid making a feeble attempt to use the tiny amount of voltage available before giving up.  Charge the battery or replace (the non use might have killed it) and try again - invest in a £40 battery optimiser will prevent this happening again and is cheaper than a new battery every 2 years

Ahhh.....ok re system to stop it starting from weak battery. Machine is currently on the Optimiser charging...hoping that will solve it.

The bit worrying me is that from the point it got the jolt from the car battery every time I switched on the ignition the Neutral light would flash on and off for 20 secs with a clicking in time to the on off switching possibly the indicator relay being used to make it switch off and on...but I am wondering what that warning means.

RE car battery....aye...won't be doing that again....very clearly too many little chips and shit in a modern machine  :430:

Offline Chanter

• SX Junior
Just to confirm. The battery being fully charged solved all issues.  Clearly the protection circuit prevented the jump start.

She's working just fine again now.

Thanks for the help guys